cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
El Paso Coug

El Paso Coug
Post The "F" word and LDS members

This whole thing about Whit and the F word during the BSU game is a joke. As a general observation, it is amazing to me that LDS members can draw such negative conclusions about a person who may use profanity from time to time. I know the model LDS responses that the use of profanity shows that a person is weak or that the person seeks unnecessary attention, both of which are true in most instances. I surely do not advocate the use of profanity and I rarely swear myself, except when it is appropriate (in my opinion, there are just certain times when a swear word is appropriate for the situation).

However, I've been around profanity my entire life and a day doesn't go by that I don't have a client or other person I deal with who swears (and I know that mere frequency doesn't make profanity okay). However, I try not to draw conclusions about that person. In fact, I know several wonderful people who I respect and admire who throw out swear words from time to time. Why is it that LDS members make such a big deal about swearing? Of all of the commandments and things we need to worry about, swearing would be way down the list, in my opinion.

Shoot, my wife has been known to engage in dirty talk from time to time, but that's a discussion I won't go into.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:01 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I am guilty of letting a few words fly from time to time. But I can say that I find it annoying when psychiatrists sit around and talk about patient care, and the use of 4 letter words somehow means you are "getting real". They don't say it jokingly. They say it very gravely.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

The F-Bomb is a better friend of mine than it should be.

Nerds making a tiff about KW dropping F-bombs are just that. Nerds.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I've been known to drop the f bomb on rare occasion when I lose my temper. I'm not proud of it. But I don't think that voids my temple recommend status. Maybe some think otherwise. I'm with active, temple recommend holding LDS in the workplace, on the golf course, in pickup basketball games, etc, and I hear profanity on occasion. The KW stuff right now is pretty lame.

P.S. dropping the a bomb got me permanently banned from cougarboard not the f bomb.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless it's used to abuse, I don't find it too offensive, but I won't judge their character unnecessarily by it.

OTH, if a bunch a lawyers sit around discussing a case with four letter words it can be a bit annoying or unprofessional.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm guilty of dropping that bomb far too often. I realize that I should make an attempt to not say it, but dangit, sometimes it feels really good to say it.

There are some folks who are upset that KW dropped the f bomb? I'd be more upset if he hadn't after his team's performance against BSU.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:05 AM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

There was a time in my life where my friends pooled together $50 to get me to say the F-bomb and I wouldn't.

Then there was a time in my life where I used the F-bomb in every part of speech. Though I don't think I ever managed to use it as an adverb.

I no longer use it except on rare occasions. Today was one of them while working on my friends car and my wrench came loose and racked my knuckles. It was barely audible though and I was able to walk away from the car for a minute because my buddy's nephew was watching me and I was afraid he would have been running around with a new vocabulary a la Meet the Fockers.

It doesn't bother me too much when others use it. It does bother me when a girl has a potty mouth for some reason though. But that's just me.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"

Last edited by Surfah; 10-03-2006 at 04:20 AM.
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:41 AM   #8
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm guilty of dropping that bomb far too often. I realize that I should make an attempt to not say it, but dangit, sometimes it feels really good to say it.

There are some folks who are upset that KW dropped the f bomb? I'd be more upset if he hadn't after his team's performance against BSU.
there are a couple of people that are, then a bunch of people (like me ) that keep bringing it up to egg on carolina cougar. The funny thing is though, carolina was right and it was not even him. I just rewatched it on my comcast on demand and unless Kyle was for some reason yelling "Oh yeah, that's what I'm f****** talking about!" after Grady's interception, it really was a boise state coach. I'm still gonna mess with carolina cougar for a while since we already got him to call up Kyle and ask him about it.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:44 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
there are a couple of people that are, then a bunch of people (like me ) that keep bringing it up to egg on carolina cougar. The funny thing is though, carolina was right and it was not even him. I just rewatched it on my comcast on demand and unless Kyle was for some reason yelling "Oh yeah, that's what I'm f****** talking about!" after Grady's interception, it really was a boise state coach. I'm still gonna mess with carolina cougar for a while since we already got him to call up Kyle and ask him about it.
That is hilarious. Keep me posted.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:48 AM   #10
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Then there was a time in my life where I used the F-bomb in every part of speech. Though I don't think I ever managed to use it as an adverb.
I don't think it's possible, Surfah. My first grader is learning the parts of speech in school right now. I asked him to use it in a complete sentence as an adverb and he couldn't do it. Noun, verb and adjective were no problem, however.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote