cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The author of the Arizona immigration law is Mormon

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_15126941?IA...www.sltrib.com

As such, this article suggests that the LDS church is getting a lot of the "blame" for this law, in the Arizonan Hispanic community.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Do the Catholics or Baptists who support it or who are campaigning receive derision?

Of course not. Dumbasses all of them.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Do the Catholics or Baptists who support it or who are campaigning receive derision?

Of course not. Dumbasses all of them.
This is a trite and unreflective response. Why don't you think about why people think it's noteworthy that the sponsor of the bill is Mormon? What is Mormonism's reputation today? What does it bring immediately to mind, if you're outside the culture?

The Catholics are impossible to pigeonhole. They've been around for thousands of years and there is about every kind of Catholic you can think of, and over a billion of them. This is why a notion like Catholics oppose abortion in any situation even in the case of rape or incest or to save the life of the mother gets overlooked. Catholics mostly don't believe that; unlike Mormons, the mainstream Catholics really don't deify their leaders, and unlike Mormons they are not perceived as monolithic.

I think if the sponsor were an Evangelist or a Southern Baptist or Seventh Day Adventist or Jehovah's Witness, it might be newsworthy.

But ultimatey, Mormons themselves have generated a perception that Mormonism is a racist and homophobic creed. Good grief man, the Book of Mormon itself has stuff in it that should make you blush, about white and delightsome Nephis, etc. Every time someone says there were white aborigines at one time Mormons start panting with excitement. When I was on my mission missionary stuff said Christ was white. Mexicans are just Lamanites after all.

Racism has been in Mormonism from the beginning, it's in its sacred books. It's in the DNA, which is why the leadership needs to for once show some moral courage, and repudiate all that stuff, even redact it from the Book of Mormon, and apologize and admit error. Can you imagine the change (for the better) that would come over the membership and outside perceptions of Mormons?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This is a trite and unreflective response. Why don't you think about why people think it's noteworthy that the sponsor of the bill is Mormon? What is Mormonism's reputation today? What does it bring immediately to mind, if you're outside the culture?

The Catholics are impossible to pigeonhole. They've been around for thousands of years and there is about every kind of Catholic you can think of, and over a billion of them. This is why a notion like Catholics oppose abortion in any situation even in the case of rape or incest or to save the life of the mother gets overlooked. Catholics mostly don't believe that; unlike Mormons, the mainstream Catholics really don't deify their leaders, and unlike Mormons they are not perceived as monolithic. By the way, I believe the legislator who quotes the 12th Article of Faith to adopt the legislation should be disciplined for inaccurately using scripture. Hell, I'd even consider excommunicating him for his misuse of his heritage.

I think if the sponsor were an Evangelist or a Southern Baptist or Seventh Day Adventist or Jehovah's Witness, it might be newsworthy.

But ultimatey, Mormons themselves have generated a perception that Mormonism is a racist and homophobic creed. Good grief man, the Book of Mormon itself has stuff in it that should make you blush, about white and delightsome Nephis, etc. Every time someone says there were white aborigines at one time Mormons start panting with excitement. When I was on my mission missionary stuff said Christ was white. Mexicans are just Lamanites after all.

Racism has been in Mormonism from the beginning, it's in its sacred books. It's in the DNA, which is why the leadership needs to for once show some moral courage, and repudiate all that stuff, even redact it from the Book of Mormon, and apologize and admit error. Can you imagine the change (for the better) that would come over the membership and outside perceptions of Mormons?
Your knee jerk response is moronic as well.

The Church has been very favorable to undocumented workers, not turning them in and indeed baptizing those who are desirous. The bill drafter is in fact most likely running contrary to the desires of the Church. So we have a renegade and that is being used to describe the whole Church? You wish it were so.

If you were familiar with the debates within Arizona, you would also be well aware that a principle opponent of the bill is also Mormon. There are many voices for and against the legislation. In fact, I'd support disciplining the SoB for referencing the 12th Article of Faith as justification for his wrong-headed legislation. I understand Arizona's dilemma but do not agree with the proposed solution.

Any effort to depict the LDS as uniform on this issue is intentionally deceptive and dishonest.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-26-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Your knee jerk response is moronic as well.

The Church has been very favorable to undocumented workers, not turning them in and indeed baptizing those who are desirous. The bill drafter is in fact most likely running contrary to the desires of the Church. So we have a renegade and that is being used to describe the whole Church? You wish it were so.

If you were familiar with the debates within Arizona, you would also be well aware that a principle opponent of the bill is also Mormon. There are many voices for and against the legislation. In fact, I'd support disciplining the SoB for referencing the 12th Article of Faith as justification for his wrong-headed legislation. I understand Arizona's dilemma but do not agree with the proposed solution.

Any effort to depict the LDS as uniform on this issue is intentionally deceptive and dishonest.
You changed my post in your quotation. Very declasse.

I'm just saying why people find it resonant that the sponsor is a Mormon. It's because of the LDS Church's bad reputation on civil liberties and social justice issues. It's like that old saying about people who complain about not getting respect.

If the LDS Church has issued a proclomation on this issue, please direct me to it. You have to look no further than that angry font of hate Cougarboard to see where most Mormons stand on this issue, absent any clear moral direction from their religion.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You changed my post in your quotation. Very declasse.

I'm just saying why people find it resonant that the sponsor is a Mormon. It's because of the LDS Church's bad reputation on civil liberties and social justice issues. It's like that old saying about people who complain about not getting respect.

If the LDS Church has issued a proclomation on this issue, please direct me to it. You have to look no further than that angry font of hate Cougarboard to see where most Mormons stand on this issue, absent any clear moral direction from their religion.
The Governor of Arizona, who signed the law, is Lutheran. Why no Lutheran hate? Well you're not anti-Lutheran, that is all. http://azgovernor.gov/About_Gov.asp

Quote:
Governor Brewer is married to Dr. John Brewer and is mother of three sons, one of whom passed away in 2007. She is an active member of Life in Christ Lutheran Church in Peoria. She has lived in Arizona since 1970.
http://azgovernor.gov/About_Gov.asp

I changed the post dingbat because I posted too quickly, not to embarrass you. You do that on your own.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...on-church.html

Quote:
Kim Farah, a spokeswoman for the LDS headquarters in Salt Lake City, said in an e-mail that elected officials who are Mormons do not represent the position of the church. She said the church has also not taken a position on immigration, which is "clearly the province of government."
"However, Church leaders have urged compassion and careful reflection when addressing immigration issues affecting millions of people," she said in the e-mail.

and

Quote:
I want the church to put a stop to him," said Celia Alejandra Alvarez Portugal, 30, a member of the LDS Aguila Ward in Phoenix. Alvarez, an illegal [COLOR=#0000EE ! important][COLOR=#0000EE ! important]immigrant[/COLOR][/COLOR] from Mexico, is in deportation proceedings after the landscaping business she worked for was raided last year by Maricopa County sheriff's deputies. Arizona has one of the largest Mormon populations of any state. There are 383,000 Mormons in Arizona, or nearly 6 percent of the population, according to the church.
Proselytizing is a cornerstone of the Mormon faith. The church has trained Spanish-speaking missionaries to go out into neighborhoods to preach to Latinos and encourage them to join the church. The church does not keep records according to ethnicity. But the number of Spanish-speaking congregations in Arizona has grown from a handful a decade ago to 51 today.
Smaller congregations are known as branches, and larger ones are called wards. Branches and wards are grouped geographically into stakes.
Nora Castañeda, 46, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Hermosillo, Mexico, who has been a member of the LDS Church for 35 years, said several colleagues confronted her after the law passed.
Castañeda, director of secondary-language development at [COLOR=#0000EE ! important][COLOR=#0000EE ! important]Phoenix's[/COLOR][/COLOR] Creighton School District, recalls one saying, "It's somebody from your church who did this." Another, according to Castañeda, said, "Your (Mormon) brother did this."
She does not believe, however, that Pearce's anti-illegal-immigrant stance is in line with the Mormon faith, which, in addition to teaching obedience to the law, teaches compassion.
"It is embarrassing to have to defend the church for the thoughts of one man," said Castañeda, a member of the Spanish-speaking Liahona Second Ward in Mesa.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

this is the first I had heard of the legislator being Mormon. Of course it is the Sltrib that plumbs that angle.

Try to find a national news organization that has reported a Mormon angle on the bill writer.

I know that the Daily Beast had an article saying that the Mormon and Catholic churches were opposing the immigration law.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
this is the first I had heard of the legislator being Mormon. Of course it is the Sltrib that plumbs that angle.

Try to find a national news organization that has reported a Mormon angle on the bill writer.

I know that the Daily Beast had an article saying that the Mormon and Catholic churches were opposing the immigration law.
The Arizona Republic did a hit piece on the Church for that. It often does, as it possesses a love-hate relationship with Mormons. Again, I didn't see the paper do a hit piece on Lutherans even though the Governor there is Lutheran. Ridiculous.

It posted an article where a non-Mormon felt left out because she couldn't go to the temple wedding of her daughter.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

and you're correct a large number of people fighting the legislation are Mormons and Catholics. But that's not what the Arizona and SLT are about, presenting an accurate picture of what is occurring. Unfortunately, you can't excommunicate somebody for being a dumbass legislator. Pearce is a moron.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #10
Archaea

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/24/us...s/24immig.html

The idiocy of Mr. Pearce is quoting the 12th Article of Faith as justification for it.

If you want to argue immigration policy to justify that's great but don't use scripture you f...ing moron. Mr. Pearce I loathe you for bringing this upon us.