cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Notre Dame controversy

Apparently South Bend is in an uproar over an invitation to have President Obama speak at commencement. Conservative Catholics are upset because of the policies Obama represents (not the least of which is abortion), while more liberal Catholics are embarrassed at their conservative brethren's "close-mindedness."

I have to say, I don't see the big hubbub. Maybe I don't understand the conservative Catholic mind, but I don't think I would be upset if Obama delivered commencement at BYU. He is the President, after all. I find myself in relatively rare disagreement with (Catholic) radio host and law professor Hugh Hewitt, who writes:

Quote:
In a single gesture, ND has undone much if not all of the work of last fall during which the Roman Catholic hierarchy in America labored mightily to deliver the message that the Church really does mean what it says about protecting the unborn.
Maybe it's just that commencements aren't that big a deal to me.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archi...3/1854122.aspx

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote