cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Is Obama crazy?

Quote:
Barack Obama has launched a broadside against John McCain’s opposition to abortion rights and moved one of the most divisive issues in modern American politics to the airwaves on a large scale for the first time in this presidential campaign.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13103.html

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Is Obama Crazy?
He must be. This is a battle he can't win. If he'd just keep his mouth shut the women upset by McCain/Palin "anti-choice" will be gravitating toward Obama on their own. But if he brings this to the forefront, it's going to get real ugly real fast and he's going to lose a lot of supporters who are still unfamiliar with Obama's own extreme (to say the least) record on the issue. I'm sure this was going to come up eventually, but I think it would behoove Obama to postpone the uproar as long as possible. Perhaps he's hoping to get it out of the way now and everyone will just magically forget by November.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Crazy? Nah. John McCain will live and die by the middle. If Obama can make McCain seem like just another Republican, he wins.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
McCain and Palin favor no exceptions.
Link?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I welcome this debate.

America gets to choose between Palin and Mr. partial-birth abortion. Bring it on.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
McCain and Palin favor no exceptions.
Actually, that's Palin. I'm curious to see how McCain negotiates that.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default In your opinion, is that good or bad

Quote:
Most Americans favor abortion, and of those who don't favor abortion, many at least favor exceptions where abortion could be allowed. McCain and Palin favor no exceptions. Their views are in the minority.

There is a big misconception that McCain is pro-choice. Palin's selection forces this issue to be discussed which will end the misconception about McCain. The Republican view on this issue will be particularly damaging among women voters (who McCain was presumably trying to target).
that Americans favor abortion? BTW............most American's don't favor on-demand abortions.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I welcome this debate.

America gets to choose between Palin and Mr. partial-birth abortion. Bring it on.
Not just Mr. partial birth abortion, but Mr. "the baby survives a partial birth abortion attempt and is alive totally outisde the womb, but let's kill it anyway".
Old 09-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I welcome this debate.

To me, partial birth abortion is infanticide. It is an awful thing that shouldn't be allowed and which almost no one favors.

I think that the rape/incest debate is a good one that we should have. Obviously we all know where the church stands on this. What is really being balanced here is the emotional well being of mom versus the right of the child to exist. If one favors the exceptions, then one necessarily believes that moms feelings trump baby's right to live. That is a drastic simplification, but that is the essence of it.

If you don't think that the fetus is a person with the attendant rights, the the only person in the equation (mom) wins. If you think the fetus is a person then I think one is logically compelled to conclude that the right to live will always trump the right to not suffer emotional harm. So really this is, again, about whether it is a person or not. This is a theological question, but I think it highlights that the McCain position is not a far out one.

I personally view abortions that are not to preserve the health of the mother as being moral evils. I would not out law them pre-viability because I recognize the ambiguity of when a fetus becomes a "person" and don't claim that I know the answer with certainty.

To me, making an argument that a baby's right to exist trumps the emotion damage to mom is a colorable that is intellectually defensible. Arguing that partial birth abortion should be allowed in any case except where moms life is literally in danger (and let be honest, partial birth abortion already involves a birth, so how much more risky is it to just pull it out rather than stick a scaple in the base of the skull once the body is already out) is not intellectually defensible in my opinion. If the debate gets framed around these extremes it is not a forgone conclusion to me that it is a net plus for Obama.

My sense, again, is that people want to keep abortion legal. But they also view is as a societal bad and are more than ready for it to be restricted in significant ways.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Not just Mr. partial birth abortion, but Mr. "the baby survives a partial birth abortion attempt and is alive totally outisde the womb, but let's kill it anyway".
Exactly. Obama is evil in this regard.

Murdering babies that survived late term abortions is far worse than no exceptions for abortion.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote