cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What level of comfort do you have in discussing...

the endowment ceremony?

In a public forum such as this are you comfortable in talking about the various signs, tokens and symbolic messages given during the movie?

Are you comfortable in the sanctity of your home with spouse and or children?

This recent talk of the temple has made me consider what the phrase, 'sacred not secret,' means to endowed LDS. When we covenant to a veil of secrecy concerning the endowment who are we kidding? The endowment is found on the internet, it's found in other secret societies and it's found in our scriptures. By keeping it a secret amongst ourselves and not talking about it whenever we feel appropriate are we bastardizing it's meaning as opposed to sanctifying it's meaning?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Achtung! Mormone

I think you already know the answer to your own question.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
the endowment ceremony?

In a public forum such as this are you comfortable in talking about the various signs, tokens and symbolic messages given during the movie?

Are you comfortable in the sanctity of your home with spouse and or children?

This recent talk of the temple has made me consider what the phrase, 'sacred not secret,' means to endowed LDS. When we covenant to a veil of secrecy concerning the endowment who are we kidding? The endowment is found on the internet, it's found in other secret societies and it's found in our scriptures. By keeping it a secret amongst ourselves and not talking about it whenever we feel appropriate are we bastardizing it's meaning as opposed to sanctifying it's meaning?
You honestly think discussing something on this forum sanctifies ANYTHING, let alone the endowment ceremony? I don't discuss it here because I don't believe that enough people value it enough, let alone will engage in any discussion that would make me glad for participating.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You honestly think discussing something on this forum sanctifies ANYTHING, let alone the endowment ceremony? I don't discuss it here because I don't believe that enough people value it enough, let alone will engage in any discussion that would make me glad for participating.
This forum is typical of why you can't really discuss these things in public. You very likely could get some good discussion of it, but you would have to wade through the usual suspects making light of it. That is an acceptable compromise for almost every other topic, but not this one.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

You can thank the Masons for that whole secret/sacred thing.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

We don't refrain from discussing the temple ceremonies because they're secret. Like you pointed out, there is not a single aspect of the endowment that you can't find online in five minutes. Refusing to expose them to the elements does not protect their secrecy, but it does protect their meaning and significance for the individual.

I apologize for the following analogy.

When a married couple conceives and has a child, there is one thing about their relationship you can pretty much regard as certain, since to date, there are only so many ways to bear children. Why don't more married couples feel more comfortable telling everybody all about the process? Everybody knows what's going on, after all. The reason is obvious: by discussing intimate details of their intimate relationship, they would render that which is intimate commonplace.

The Endowment is a very personal experience, where we learn about our relationship with God. The world can know every detail of what goes on in the temple, but it can never appreciate the tender relationship between God and man that can be enjoyed through faithful temple worship. So no, we're not doing a good job of keeping secrets, but that never was the point. Keeping the endowment "secret" keeps it sacred.

As for what level of comfort I'd feel discussing the temple, there are aspects of relationships that I'd feel comfortable talking about to some people; the more personal the details, however, the less likely I am to talk about them, and the more I would have to trust the person with whom I talk about them. There comes a point where I'm not willing to discuss it at all. Likewise, with the endowment, there are some things I feel just fine talking about, and under special circumstances and with certain people, there are aspects I feel comfortable discussing of which I would otherwise steer clear. Some aspects, I won't touch outside of the temple.

That's my two bits, anyway.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
That's my two bits, anyway.
Excellent thoughts, All-American. You posted my exact feelings, and much more artfully phrased than I would've done.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You can thank the Masons for that whole secret/sacred thing.
Like the church wouldn't be so hush-hush about it if it weren't for the masons? Yeah, I buy that argument.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
When a married couple conceives and has a child, there is one thing about their relationship you can pretty much regard as certain, since to date, there are only so many ways to bear children. Why don't more married couples feel more comfortable telling everybody all about the process? Everybody knows what's going on, after all. The reason is obvious: by discussing intimate details of their intimate relationship, they would render that which is intimate commonplace.
So you all do preform sexy sex rituals in your temples of lust. I knew it.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Like the church wouldn't be so hush-hush about it if it weren't for the masons? Yeah, I buy that argument.
A swing and a miss.