cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Taking the plunge on some new Trance 7 running shoes

I have never enjoyed running, but perhaps because my knees tend to hurt.

I was told yesterday that I have to participate in a 5K in October as part of a campus recruting activity, so looks like I need to get ready.

I know for guys like Arch, Goose, Steel, etc (and pretty much everyone), 5K is a snap. I think it will be doable for me, too, but I need to train myself how to run. Seems like buying the right shoes is a good first step.

I have noticed you can buy them online for about $30 less, so I may go to a running store to get fitted and then buy the right size online.

In doing a CG search on running, I saw a lot of shoe discussion, not a lot about knee support. Does anyone here run with any sort of knee support device? I am not talking a full brace (I dont think I need that), but something else that is a bit less cumbersome? Or is it hard to run with a knee support? I could also see that being awkward.

I went to mapmyrun to plan out 5K from my house. It seems shockingly short. I drove it last night when I came home, just to verify. Again, didnt seem that bad. Am I just fooling myself?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Your knees are telling you not to run. Why run?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Your knees are telling you not to run. Why run?
I have never really had proper running shoes. I want to give it a shot with the right equipment.

If it doesnt work, no worries.

My goal is not to become a serious runner.

You raise a good point, though. But I have to participate (at least walking) for the recruiting activity.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 07-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If you weigh over 175 lbs I highly recommended the Brooks Beast. It is expensive--typically about $130 in a store, but they save your knees and prevent stress fractures from the pounding. You won't regret getting them, I promise.

The three biggest mistakes new runners make IMHO are:

1. Going too fast. If you can't comfortably carry on a conversation while you are running, slow down. Save the really hard stuff until after you have run for six months or more or races. Start out easy and enjoy it.

2. Going too many miles too soon. Start with no more than 2 miles a day with at least 3 rest days a week. Then only increase your mileage very slowly. If you go too many miles too fast you will kill your joints and die out after a week or two.

3. Rotate shoes and buy new shoes often. Shoes can still look new, but if you have hit the ground enough times, the padding will be shot. This will lead to injury.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tips. All the previous advice on CG about running jibes with what you outlined above.

I am actually just south of 175, so I think the Trances will work fine for me, but thanks for the recs.

I agree with your advice. Again, I am going to start slow and build up from there. I dont care a bit about time (at least not right now), so that will not be an issue. I start tomorrow morning. Should be fun.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

I went to the store after work today and they had the new Trance 8. They were only $5 more than the Trance 7. Also, the Trance 7 were in Ute red, while the Trance 8 came in Cougar blue.

I now own a pair of the new Trance 8.

Tomorrow morning I break those bad boys in.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I have never enjoyed running, but perhaps because my knees tend to hurt.

I was told yesterday that I have to participate in a 5K in October as part of a campus recruting activity, so looks like I need to get ready.

I know for guys like Arch, Goose, Steel, etc (and pretty much everyone), 5K is a snap. I think it will be doable for me, too, but I need to train myself how to run. Seems like buying the right shoes is a good first step.

I have noticed you can buy them online for about $30 less, so I may go to a running store to get fitted and then buy the right size online.

In doing a CG search on running, I saw a lot of shoe discussion, not a lot about knee support. Does anyone here run with any sort of knee support device? I am not talking a full brace (I dont think I need that), but something else that is a bit less cumbersome? Or is it hard to run with a knee support? I could also see that being awkward.

I went to mapmyrun to plan out 5K from my house. It seems shockingly short. I drove it last night when I came home, just to verify. Again, didnt seem that bad. Am I just fooling myself?
The Nike store is caddy corner from our office. The kids come and camp out along the store front to get limited editions. Let me guess, you're one of those.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The Nike store is caddy corner from our office. The kids come and camp out along the store front to get limited editions. Let me guess, you're one of those.
I am definitely a Limited Edition.

PS Trance are made by Brooks, not Nike. This tells me that you do not exercise or play any sports whatsoever.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This tells me that you do not exercise or play any sports whatsoever.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I am definitely a Limited Edition.

PS Trance are made by Brooks, not Nike. This tells me that you do not exercise or play any sports whatsoever.
Because my shoe is Nike?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Because my shoe is Nike?
Your shoe being Nike tells me that you support child labor in third world countries, which sort of brings us back to the racism thing.