cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FLDS highlights something I love within mormon culture....

and trust me my friends it is not the epidemic of Dr 90210 givin' our womenfolk a little more bounce in the top shelf.

Mormons seek two mutually exclusive goals. Mormons want exclusivity, they want to be "peculiar." The salt of the earth and all that shit. Part of our marketting and branding is so based upon being different. Yet, at the same time they want acceptance. There are BYU fans who still get worked into a frenzy trying to convince others that the BYU NC in 1984 was legitimate or that by golly we really are Christians!!! CAN YOU PEOPLE SEE HOW BIG WE MADE THE WORDS "JESUS CHRIST" IN OUR COPYRIGHTED BRAND OF OUR CHURCH? President Hinckley represented this pole admirably.

Here comes FLDS and its claims, or others' claims, that FLDS and Mormons are from the same ilk. Then we have LDS General Authorities pounding the pulpit to ensure all within earshot know that the FLDS are not mormons and we have no connection. Uhhhhh, ya right on that one big fella!

Then when Evangelicals want to kick IndyCoug out of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes at his Tennessee High School, we want to cry foul because we want and need everyone else's approval. I liked Jay Santos' introspection on this dilemma we mormons face.

In fact I think these mutually exclusive goals play out brilliantly in the rivalry between BYU and Utah. Perhaps I am not like many of you in this regard but I openly admit that the one thing I enjoy most about this rivalry is the pangs of bitterness displayed by the ALUF after they are beaten by BYU - especially if one invokes that God exists or played a role in the outcome. When Austin uttered his much ballyhooed "when magic happens" and there commenced a stringpulling in unison not seen since Brother Brigham had all fiftysomethin' of his eternal comps all dwelling in the same mansion. It was one of the most humorous sights I had beheld in quite some time. The ALUF chooses to view the LDS goal of exclusivity when evaluating the good BYU does for the Kingdom of God. Exclusivity taken to its extreme includes what the military refers to as zero defect. For BYU to accomplish the LDS cultural goal of exclusivity it, or its representatives, must never make any type of mistake. Now, obviously I know that the ALUF isn't concerned about the Kingdom of God as much as he is with Bronco Mendenhall not using KY jelly when Bronc made the ALUF aware that the Bronc was hung like a horse, but I feel the Zoobie is similarly concerned about the Kingdom of God when he does some regression analysis of baptisms and BYU's top 25 rankings - and thus taking the other goal of acceptance to its extreme.

Regardless, it is interesting to watch how mormons react when they get exposure and how the Church seeks to balance these often mutually exclusive goals.

Never forget that Austin Collie stands against "everything" for which the LDS Church upholds...so uttered the ALUF!

http://166.70.78.242/message.php?id=...#message531475

If there ever were a calling that I openly admit aspiring to, it is the dude in Church Headquarters responding to the letters calling for the abolition of BYU sports on the grounds that it does irrepreble (sp?) damage to the LDS Church...but without being a better speller it probably ain't happening. What a loss to mankind, if I say so myself.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post because it's funny and true.

Wait - you weren't including me, were you? I DEMAND EXCLUSIVITY! I"M NOT LIKE THE REAL ALUFS!

What I like about Goatnapper is that he is an equal opportunity mocker. His thoughts on the zoobs who have their faith shaken as a result of a Utah win (regardless the opponent) is just as biting as those on ALUFs.

It's good to see that my tax dollars were not wasted on your education.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
and trust me my friends it is not the epidemic of Dr 90210 givin' our womenfolk a little more bounce in the top shelf.

Mormons seek two mutually exclusive goals. Mormons want exclusivity, they want to be "peculiar." The salt of the earth and all that shit. Part of our marketting and branding is so based upon being different. Yet, at the same time they want acceptance. There are BYU fans who still get worked into a frenzy trying to convince others that the BYU NC in 1984 was legitimate or that by golly we really are Christians!!! CAN YOU PEOPLE SEE HOW BIG WE MADE THE WORDS "JESUS CHRIST" IN OUR COPYRIGHTED BRAND OF OUR CHURCH? President Hinckley represented this pole admirably.

Here comes FLDS and its claims, or others' claims, that FLDS and Mormons are from the same ilk. Then we have LDS General Authorities pounding the pulpit to ensure all within earshot know that the FLDS are not mormons and we have no connection. Uhhhhh, ya right on that one big fella!

Then when Evangelicals want to kick IndyCoug out of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes at his Tennessee High School, we want to cry foul because we want and need everyone else's approval. I liked Jay Santos' introspection on this dilemma we mormons face.

In fact I think these mutually exclusive goals play out brilliantly in the rivalry between BYU and Utah. Perhaps I am not like many of you in this regard but I openly admit that the one thing I enjoy most about this rivalry is the pangs of bitterness displayed by the ALUF after they are beaten by BYU - especially if one invokes that God exists or played a role in the outcome. When Austin uttered his much ballyhooed "when magic happens" and there commenced a stringpulling in unison not seen since Brother Brigham had all fiftysomethin' of his eternal comps all dwelling in the same mansion. It was one of the most humorous sights I had beheld in quite some time. The ALUF chooses to view the LDS goal of exclusivity when evaluating the good BYU does for the Kingdom of God. Exclusivity taken to its extreme includes what the military refers to as zero defect. For BYU to accomplish the LDS cultural goal of exclusivity it, or its representatives, must never make any type of mistake. Now, obviously I know that the ALUF isn't concerned about the Kingdom of God as much as he is with Bronco Mendenhall not using KY jelly when Bronc made the ALUF aware that the Bronc was hung like a horse, but I feel the Zoobie is similarly concerned about the Kingdom of God when he does some regression analysis of baptisms and BYU's top 25 rankings - and thus taking the other goal of acceptance to its extreme.

Regardless, it is interesting to watch how mormons react when they get exposure and how the Church seeks to balance these often mutually exclusive goals.

Never forget that Austin Collie stands against "everything" for which the LDS Church upholds...so uttered the ALUF!

http://166.70.78.242/message.php?id=...#message531475

If there ever were a calling that I openly admit aspiring to, it is the dude in Church Headquarters responding to the letters calling for the abolition of BYU sports on the grounds that it does irrepreble (sp?) damage to the LDS Church...but without being a better speller it probably ain't happening. What a loss to mankind, if I say so myself.
You say what I want to say and yet so much more eloquently. When it comes to posting thoughts I freely admit I am George Bush and you are Barak Obama, (I would have said Ronald Reagan instead of Obama, but many on this board are too young to remember Reagan).
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Napper reminds me more

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
You say what I want to say and yet so much more eloquently. When it comes to posting thoughts I freely admit I am George Bush and you are Barak Obama, (I would have said Ronald Reagan instead of Obama, but many on this board are too young to remember Reagan).
of Bill Maher. Not even close to Obama or Reagan.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Sorry ex, but that says more about your ability to understand and comprehend than it does napper ability to express himself.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Closer to Dennis Miller.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
You bite your tongue young man. How dare you compare Napper to the elitest bastard Obama. He's so much more endearing and like our populist President for the ages of Ronald Reagan. I wonder when we'll erect an altar to the only great president of the 20th century.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You bite your tongue young man. How dare you compare Napper to the elitest bastard Obama. He's so much more endearing and like our populist President for the ages of Ronald Reagan. I wonder when we'll erect an altar to the only great president of the 20th century.
It was a bad comparision and was only meant in terms of delivery.

I actually think George Bush's ideas and thoughts coupled with Obama's ability to deliver a speech would have resulted in the greatest Presidency ever.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Bill Maher?

I'll give you that if you admit that you are Jerry Falwell.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Napper is actually more like my perverted Uncle Joey who would sit on his porch and whistle as girls walked by. He is now in his late 50s and he ended up divorcing his wife and marrying a 27 year old with fake ta-tas. He seems a lot happier, however recent reports from the family are saying that he is now doing both his ex-wife and his new wife.