cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coaching YM basketball

I was the coach last year, and I will refuse to do it again.

I think, maybe theoretically, I could enjoy coaching. But what I really HATE is 1) players not hustling and 2) said players mouthing off to me when they are benched.

So, I won't coach again. I don't have the time to deal with that kind of crap.

Other pet peeves:

1) the refs were terrible (I won't bore you with the particulars)
2) the last tournament took an entire day, and my team played I think 6 games

One thing that was a surprise to me was how stressful it was. How much my blood pressure was up. I got a snapshot of what it would be like to be a real coach, and I decided I probably wouldn't do well, because I would burn out.

So there goes my coaching career. I'm letting the door hit it square in the butt as it walks away.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Try being a ref. I will concede that the average ref in a Church game sucks, but you will have to take it on faith that I don't. I am a former professional ref with a lot of experience (OK, the professional part means I used to ref 10 year old kids in a YMCA league, but still). I have probably refed 25% of the YM, YW and Adult games over the last 2 years in our stake. The YM are actually, with a couple of exceptions, pretty good, but some of the parents can be terrible. The adults, on the other hand, can not miss a shot without whining to the refs. The funniest guys are the ones who complain the whole game, and then ref the game after, and swallow thier whistle completely, not call a single foul the entire game.

I really like reffing the YW, though. That's usually pretty fun.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

That's a pity. I love coaching.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Coaching YM basketball was really the only part of being in the Young Men's that I actually enjoyed. We had good teams, and the kids listened to me in the games. We even won region once. I got a t-shirt.

Other than coaching basketball, I really didn't like being a YM leader. You were always scrambling to think of babysitting activities for a bunch of smart-alec 14 and 15 year olds every Tuesday night. The sass, the back talk, the annoying whining, it made for a pretty miserable experience, especially when you are spening 5-6 hours some weeks just on young men's stuff, not to mention the time required for campouts.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Trust me, I hate it when people complain about refs, esp. when they are volunteers giving their time. But in the case that I was pissed off about, all the refs were from one ward and made some egregious decisions (like kicking our star player out of the game, after he was pushed, and didn't push back), and calling 3 seconds about 40 times, all against us, etc. It was the worst ref butt-raping I have ever seen. Of course the refs were from the ward we were playing, and they were also running the tournament. It was complete bullsh**. But if that were my only complaint, I would stick with it.

Mainly it has to do with one kid on our team that irritates me, and I don't want to deal with him anymore. He sucks, but he's convinced himself he's Michael Jordan, and he is blessed with the attitude of an Allen Iverson.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was the coach last year, and I will refuse to do it again.

I think, maybe theoretically, I could enjoy coaching. But what I really HATE is 1) players not hustling and 2) said players mouthing off to me when they are benched.

So, I won't coach again. I don't have the time to deal with that kind of crap.

Other pet peeves:

1) the refs were terrible (I won't bore you with the particulars)
2) the last tournament took an entire day, and my team played I think 6 games

One thing that was a surprise to me was how stressful it was. How much my blood pressure was up. I got a snapshot of what it would be like to be a real coach, and I decided I probably wouldn't do well, because I would burn out.

So there goes my coaching career. I'm letting the door hit it square in the butt as it walks away.
I helped coach our YM group last year. It was basically kids with surfer hair cuts wearing jeans throwing up two handed chest shots. If you really want to coach, you need another forum. YM basketball is about getting the kids together, having a little fun, and maybe for the fat ones getting a little exercise.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I helped coach our YM group last year. It was basically kids with surfer hair cuts wearing jeans throwing up two handed chest shots. If you really want to coach, you need another forum. YM basketball is about getting the kids together, having a little fun, and maybe for the fat ones getting a little exercise.
Right. Which is why they don't need me, and they can get a parent to do it.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's a pity. I love coaching.
Same here.

Working under Coach Parrish at SLCC was one of the funnest, though thoroughly exhausting things I've ever done. Being able to watch games and scout games at CSI, Snow, and CEU, and back then the old UVSC before they became a 4 year school was a total blast. Developing scouting reports and giving them to the coach, and then have them implement that into their plans for the upcoming game was a rewarding experience. I didn't get paid a penny for it, but I still loved it.

I had opportunities to help at some Majerus camps and attended some coaching clinics put on by several coaches in the west and it was very eye opening to see a lot of the backdoor politicking that goes on.

Coaching is a blast if one is willing to sacrifice for tiny money for the first several years in it.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 10-23-2007 at 06:28 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:56 AM   #9
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Try being a ref. I will concede that the average ref in a Church game sucks, but you will have to take it on faith that I don't. I am a former professional ref with a lot of experience (OK, the professional part means I used to ref 10 year old kids in a YMCA league, but still). I have probably refed 25% of the YM, YW and Adult games over the last 2 years in our stake. The YM are actually, with a couple of exceptions, pretty good, but some of the parents can be terrible. The adults, on the other hand, can not miss a shot without whining to the refs. The funniest guys are the ones who complain the whole game, and then ref the game after, and swallow thier whistle completely, not call a single foul the entire game.

I really like reffing the YW, though. That's usually pretty fun.
reffing YM's isn't bad. The men can be be real jerks though. And you're totally right on about the guys who when they play complain but when they ref they're horrible themselves.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

So there is one problem player that I esp. don't like coaching.

Apparently his grandfather was asked to coach the team, and declined on the basis that he didn't want to be in anway involved in making substitution decisions for his grandson.

LOL.

I'll be damned if I do either.