cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Quest for Joseph Smith's Descendants

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695215934,00.html
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The cultural hatred of Emma has settled down to the point that I think most young Mormons have nothing but respect for Emma.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting story Indy. Thanks for posting.

Does anybody know if Brother Joseph had children with any of his other wives?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The cultural hatred of Emma has settled down to the point that I think most young Mormons have nothing but respect for Emma.
Weird. I've never heard or read anything about Emma that wasn't respectful of who she was and what she went through. The same goes with her "leaving" the church after Joseph's death.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Weird. I've never heard or read anything about Emma that wasn't respectful of who she was and what she went through. The same goes with her "leaving" the church after Joseph's death.
I've never heard anything in church meetings or the like, but have come to understand that her memory used to be public enemy #1 in the church.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Bwahahaha Mike deleted a post of mine.

What a mullah.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Same here and I have heard a lot of things through the decades. I really don't know how many were true and how much was PR, but I always heard things like she really supported Joseph and stayed behind because the Prophets death was just too hard on her. Which I and I think most others could sympathize with.

In recent times when it seems more accurate church history has been put out there, I have heard some less than flattering things, but that has never come from the church.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Interesting BYU71, so for you the trend is the opposite? This goes against what I have read. Of a reconciliation of sorts between the church and Emma.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Same here and I have heard a lot of things through the decades. I really don't know how many were true and how much was PR, but I always heard things like she really supported Joseph and stayed behind because the Prophets death was just too hard on her. Which I and I think most others could sympathize with.

In recent times when it seems more accurate church history has been put out there, I have heard some less than flattering things, but that has never come from the church.
Brother Brigham was not particularly fond of her. In his own words "she was the damndest liar I ever knew." Two of her sons, Joseph III and David Hyrum, came to visit SLC to reclaim the fallen Brighamites shortly after the RLDS became a viable entity. Brigham hooked them up with Joseph F. Smith and the poor kids were not well versed in either the history of their father or the doctrine he restored. Perhaps not very charitable of Brigham, and he did not afford them the same respects he afforded other religious ministers, but the two genuinely got their asses beat in a couple of debates. Brigham was not too nice to them and made it clear that they were a threat to his leadership and not real welcome. David Hyrum was so shooken up he returned to research the claims of Joseph's polygamy. Shortly thereafter he had a mental breakdown.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Instead of hating Emma, the Church is now using her to create an illusion. (I think it could be an effort--perhaps even a subconscious effort--to minimize polygamy.) When the Church starts making movies about all the other wives and explains the logistics of sleeping with 33 different women, then I'll be satisfied.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote