cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did you read Harmon's article that talked

about Hook's return. This is what impresses me about Bronco. He sounded very sincere about having Hooks back. He talked very positively about Hooks as a person. No image control here. The guy made a mistake. Bronco dealt out the punishment and it is over.

I have expressed this before. My worry about Bronco came from the zealots who were taking what he said and then interpreting it for the world. I was afraid they might be right.

Bronco will only recruit those who recruit BYU. To the zealots that meant we will recruit only the pure in heart.

There were those who even thought we could win and pack the stadium with 90% RM's on the field. I could go on and on.

Sure Bronco is a disciplinarian. That is great. I don't get the feeling though he does it out of spite, anger or some sense of moral superiority. I get the sense he truly believes it is right for his team and will make for a good football team. It is not about punishment, but keeping kids on the right track.

By the way. Have you ever heard Bronco bad mouth any player who left BYU or recruit who chose another school.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

The only thing that really matters is if Hooks has learned from his mistake and moves on with his life.

I think you're correct about Mendenhall and the zealots. To me, Mendenhall does what he does because he feels it is what's best for his team. There really is nothing more to it. I

If it causes zoobs to rally 'round the fire and sing praises and causes ALUFs to start weeping, wailing and gnashing their teeth, it just makes it that more entertaining.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I attended one of the Bronco firesides over the summer and I came away greatly impressed. He seems to have just the right balance of discipline and love for the players.

He didn't pull many punches for booing fans, either.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's too bad that cultural breakdown among polynesians in the United States sullies BYU.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with BYU per se, but rather there must be all kinds of polys getting into trouble with the law that aren't playing college sports anywhere, and that is sad.

I've lived with islanders, I speak an islander language, and criminals they are not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's too bad that cultural breakdown among polynesians in the United States sullies BYU.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with BYU per se, but rather there must be all kinds of polys getting into trouble with the law that aren't playing college sports anywhere, and that is sad.

I've lived with islanders, I speak an islander language, and criminals they are not.
My sister in law worked for a group home in Mona, Utah. Every saturday night she would bring the boys up and we would play flag football with them. All of these boys were in trouble with the law in one way or another and half of them were polynesian, well it was amazing the talent that some of these kids had, i mean i was blown away. Out of the 30 kids i would guess at least 7 or 8 could have played college football. Only one boy made it back to mainstream highschool he played for Kearns and was very good, but didnt have the grades to play college.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

By the way. Have you ever heard Bronco bad mouth any player who left BYU or recruit who chose another school.
One of the things that make Bronco so likable is that shows a personal respect to everyone he addresses. He is calm, level-headed and will give you (anyone) the benefit of a doubt. Look at that guy on KSL 5 Tom Kirkland. Bronco has shown more respect than Kirkland ever gave in return and yet will still talk to Kirkland as if he is an equal.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic View Post
One of the things that make Bronco so likable is that shows a personal respect to everyone he addresses. He is calm, level-headed and will give you (anyone) the benefit of a doubt. Look at that guy on KSL 5 Tom Kirkland. Bronco has shown more respect than Kirkland ever gave in return and yet will still talk to Kirkland as if he is an equal.
I have a friend who is not a BYU fan. Actually I would say he dislikes BYU. However, he ended up playing with Bronco in a golf tournament. He had just seen Bronco through the press. After playing with him he told me he really likes him. Said he is intense and a competitor, but not your typical arrogant holier than though BYU guy.

He actually said he so impressed by Bronco that he now pulls for the football team.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

My FIL is a big time Uof U guy. He is into business proptery and had a chance to play a round with Bronco. I was chomping at the bit to go with him, but was strongly rebuffed (I think my FIL was afraid I would slobber or something). After the morning round, my FIL called me and told me that Bronco was not a real Cougar because was a truly honest, nice guy. He was not a big talker and just wanted the conversation to not focus on him or football. I think he made my FIL a fan, but not of BYU, just him.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default This is the problem for Ute fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic View Post
My FIL is a big time Uof U guy. He is into business proptery and had a chance to play a round with Bronco. I was chomping at the bit to go with him, but was strongly rebuffed (I think my FIL was afraid I would slobber or something). After the morning round, my FIL called me and told me that Bronco was not a real Cougar because was a truly honest, nice guy. He was not a big talker and just wanted the conversation to not focus on him or football. I think he made my FIL a fan, but not of BYU, just him.
If they actually ever left their comfort zone, they'd realize that BYU people aren't actually the zoobs they think they are. This could be very unsettling, so it's best they just stay in the SLC bubble.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
If they actually ever left their comfort zone, they'd realize that BYU people aren't actually the zoobs they think they are. This could be very unsettling, so it's best they just stay in the SLC bubble.
Both fan bases suffer from the problem. The Utah Drunk and the BYU Zoob. Both are unrepresentitive of the fan base. However, they stand out like sore thumbs and therefor become representitive of the other schools fan base.

Quite frankly if I were a neutral observer, I would take the drunk. He is usually only that way on game day. The Zoob is zoobie constantly.