cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Furthering the excommunication thread

Sorry I was out on the road and meeting with clients all day as we come to the close of a book before starting another one and I saw the excommunication thread and wanted to add a few of my thoughts by starting a new thread on the matter.

I've been on the side of spiritual and church punishment before. I completely accepted it and understood what my role was and what I needed to do in order to return to full fellowship. Being on that side really opened my eyes to something I knew went on, but didn't realize just how much it went on and that's the often, over the top curiosity and wanting to know from other members just what said person has done.

One thing I do not understand and something that seems to be a little too rampant in the LDS Culture is the fascination so many of us have with those who have been or are going through some type of church discipline. Wanting to know what they did, why they did, who they did it with, what kind of punishment so and so received and why their partner in the matter didn't receive the same kind...etc...etc..etc..etc.....there are very few instances where I can see differently if the public safety is an issue such as a sex offender or something similar to it.

However, This topic is where gossip is the most damaging in the LDS Culture in my opinion.

In reality,,,it's really none of our damn business, but something that many seem to get too wrapped up in. Let the person who's made a bad choice suffer in peace in that regard, put an arm around them and just be their friend. That'll do a whole world of good as opposed to satiating the appetite of the curious.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-21-2007 at 02:25 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Sorry I was out on the road and meeting with clients all day as we come to the close of a book before starting another one.

I've been on the side of spiritual and church punishment before. I completely accepted it and understood what my role was and what I needed to do in order to return to full fellowship.

One thing I do not understand and something that seems to be a little too rampant in the LDS Culture is the fascination so many of us have with those who have been or are going through some time of church discipline. Wanting to know what they did, why they did, who they did it with, what kind of punishment so and so received and why their partner in the matter didn't receive the same kind...etc...etc..etc..etc.....

In reality,,,it's really none of our damn business, but something that many seem to get too wrapped up in. Let the person who's made a bad choice suffer in peace in that regard, put an arm around them and just be their friend.
I agree with your comments 100%.

There are far too many Mrs. Kravitz in the LDS culture. I don't want to know, nor do I care what is happening to other people in my ward and stake. Knowing their problems isn't going to make me feel any better about my own because I still have my own problems to deal with.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:38 AM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Sorry I was out on the road and meeting with clients all day as we come to the close of a book before starting another one and I saw the excommunication thread and wanted to add a few of my thoughts by starting a new thread on the matter.

I've been on the side of spiritual and church punishment before. I completely accepted it and understood what my role was and what I needed to do in order to return to full fellowship. Being on that side really opened my eyes to something I knew went on, but didn't realize just how much it went on and that's the often, over the top curiosity and wanting to know from other members just what said person has done.

One thing I do not understand and something that seems to be a little too rampant in the LDS Culture is the fascination so many of us have with those who have been or are going through some type of church discipline. Wanting to know what they did, why they did, who they did it with, what kind of punishment so and so received and why their partner in the matter didn't receive the same kind...etc...etc..etc..etc.....there are very few instances where I can see differently if the public safety is an issue such as a sex offender or something similar to it.

However, This topic is where gossip is the most damaging in the LDS Culture in my opinion.

In reality,,,it's really none of our damn business, but something that many seem to get too wrapped up in. Let the person who's made a bad choice suffer in peace in that regard, put an arm around them and just be their friend. That'll do a whole world of good as opposed to satiating the appetite of the curious.
I whole-heartedly agree. The disciplinary process is complex enough for those who are involved directly in it, to say nothing of those with half of a story on the outside.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:04 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are saying that you have experienced "church punishment", have you considered how you would have felt if , say a few circumstances were different, and you had leaders that were more bent on "cleansing" the church--have you explored how that might have felt?

I.e. I did something I am not proud of, but I'm repentant, and excommunication just doesn't feel right to me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If you are saying that you have experienced "church punishment", have you considered how you would have felt if , say a few circumstances were different, and you had leaders that were more bent on "cleansing" the church--have you explored how that might have felt?

I.e. I did something I am not proud of, but I'm repentant, and excommunication just doesn't feel right to me.
Great questions and yes I have considered the unenviable position church leaders with that kind of authority are in, but that's not really what my post was about.