cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default yesterday's training ride

I finally got my new computer with built in HR installed.

I go out for a ride, and the data is disappointing. My HR is up, not any slower than it's ever been. I did notice that I could be in the low 160s and be pretty comfortable Maybe that's different. 170's is red-zone for me. Above 180 is death zone for me.

Anyway, on my second interval I try and follow a guy on a carbon felt tri-bike. We go down the first hill and I am already feeling pain going a lousy 25mph. He cranks it up, and I am in serious pain. By the time we got to the 2nd hill, going up it at 23-24mph, I am cooked. I finish the interval at 17mph.

I think I was dehydrated before the ride and the 100deg temperature wasn't helping. It was pretty demoralizing. I think not riding on Saturday has set me back a bit (probably only got in 40 miles last week).

Lotoja seems like a distant dream.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I finally got my new computer with built in HR installed.

I go out for a ride, and the data is disappointing. My HR is up, not any slower than it's ever been. I did notice that I could be in the low 160s and be pretty comfortable Maybe that's different. 170's is red-zone for me. Above 180 is death zone for me.

Anyway, on my second interval I try and follow a guy on a carbon felt tri-bike. We go down the first hill and I am already feeling pain going a lousy 25mph. He cranks it up, and I am in serious pain. By the time we got to the 2nd hill, going up it at 23-24mph, I am cooked. I finish the interval at 17mph.

I think I was dehydrated before the ride and the 100deg temperature wasn't helping. It was pretty demoralizing. I think not riding on Saturday has set me back a bit (probably only got in 40 miles last week).

Lotoja seems like a distant dream.
You still have 13 months until Lotoja 2008, plenty of time if you train like Arch.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
You still have 13 months until Lotoja 2008, plenty of time if you train like Arch.
I've never trained in the winter.

No one here trains less than me.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Plus I am prone to effects from altitude. I've had altitude sickness three times in my life, that last time at 7000 feet.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I loathe all of you from the bottom of my soul. My training has been reduced to two measely hours on the recumbent at the gym with lots of fat women. I hate you all.

My doctor informs me no more riding for a month until my shoulder heals. Something about a class two separation worsening if I jog or ride. No swimming unless I one arm it.

You guys who are allowed to train suck. I woke up at five dutifully only to realize I didn't get to do anything meaningful.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I loathe all of you from the bottom of my soul. My training has been reduced to two measely hours on the recumbent at the gym with lots of fat women. I hate you all.
Please have someone take a pic. I want to see it.

If you can stand 2 hours on a stationary bike, that is way beyond anything I could ever do. 20 min max for me.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
RC Vikings

Quote:

My doctor informs me no more riding for a month until my shoulder heals. Something about a class two separation worsening if I jog or ride. No swimming unless I one arm it.

You guys who are allowed to train suck. I woke up at five dutifully only to realize I didn't get to do anything meaningful.
I'm sorry but the thought of seeing you in the gym on a recumbent made me laugh. The recumbent exercise bike - a piece of equipment made for those who want to get in shape but are still so lazy they want to do it sitting on their fat ass.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Please have someone take a pic. I want to see it.

If you can stand 2 hours on a stationary bike, that is way beyond anything I could ever do. 20 min max for me.
I have done four hours on a stationary bike and will likely do that this Saturday so that I don't turn into a fat tub of lard. It is making me crazy and loony.

Viking, do you have any interest in doing Tour de Tucson if I can't heal in time for Clearwater?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
RC Vikings

Quote:
I have done four hours on a stationary bike and will likely do that this Saturday so that I don't turn into a fat tub of lard. It is making me crazy and loony.

Viking, do you have any interest in doing Tour de Tucson if I can't heal in time for Clearwater?
Let me look at it but I would be interested.