cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I had to report for Jury duty today

It was kind of interesting, I've never done it before. But I was thinking it would be a trial for a minor theft, a DUI, or maybe an assault.

Nope....rape and sodomy.

The Judge warned everyone in the jury pool that the details would be graphic. Needless to say, I was very happy they didn't pick me for the jury.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

First time I was summoned for Jury Duty about 11 years ago I had the same experience, and the case was aggravated sexual assault and sodomy of a minor.

I'm also glad I was in the first pool of dismissed jurors.

Last time I was summoned for Jury Duty was last Summer. This was quite different. I was simply given a phone number to call, and specific week that we'd be told to be ready to go and each day after 5PM it would say whether we're to report the following morning for Jury Duty or not, and lucky for me, the entire week we never had to show
Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't picked for a molestation case. Thank goodness.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

How many here, like me, have never even been notified of possible jury duty?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
First time I was summoned for Jury Duty about 11 years ago I had the same experience, and the case was aggravated sexual assault and sodomy of a minor.
This didn't involve a minor, thank goodness. I was definitely willing to keep an open mind about things until the evidence was presented, but I'm grateful I didn't have to serve.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't want to be picked in a case like that either.

I have an acquaintance who served as a juror on a murder trial. The victim was a child. After the trial, he had a breakdown and took a prolonged leave of absence from work. Maybe he had other issues prior to the trial, and it was only the trigger, but they weren’t evident. He was visibly different after the trial.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
I have an acquaintance who served as a juror on a murder trial. The victim was a child. After the trial, he had a breakdown and took a prolonged leave of absence from work. Maybe he had other issues prior to the trial, and it was only the trigger, but they weren’t evident. He was visibly different after the trial.
Sort of on that topic, when we were in the courtroom, each of us had to stand and answer some basic questions about ourselves. When the lady next to me stood, she gave her basic info, and then told the judge that she really wanted to leave. Her son was murdered when he was 21, and she said she has had enough of courtrooms. I felt really bad for her and told her I was sorry to hear about her son. She was dismissed in the first group.

It really made me think, though: everyone in the room has a story, and some of them have had horrible things happen to them. Five women raised their hand when the judge asked if anyone had ever been the victim of a sexual offense. And 3 men raised their hand when he asked if anyone had been charged with a sexual offense.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
It really made me think, though: everyone in the room has a story, and some of them have had horrible things happen to them. Five women raised their hand when the judge asked if anyone had ever been the victim of a sexual offense. And 3 men raised their hand when he asked if anyone had been charged with a sexual offense.
That is sobering, indeed.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

DUring one job I was working on a capital appeal and I was requried to read the record, which included the defednant's confession to mulitple violent murders of children, along with doing unspeakable things to the children before and after they were dead. It was so utterly horrible that I could not stand ot read more than few paragraphs at a time before I would need to get up and take a walk.

I was required to read the confession, but it was one of the most horrible experiences of my life, seriously.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I was on a jury once. I ended up being the foreman. Fortunately, it a civil trial related to a traffic accident. I actually enjoyed it.