cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default Do we need Austin Collie to beat UNLV?

Sure he would help, but if we can get away with not playing him, that would give him 4 weeks between games (clearly he would sit Eastern Washington as well) to heal up.

It would be huge down the stretch to get him healthy, and I think it's a pretty wise choice to sit him for UNLV (unless he's healthier than I presume).

I've been hearing the "UNLV is tougher than they've ever been" speech, but are they? They got pummeled by a slightly better than mediocre Hawaii team at home and lost to a bad Nevada-Reno team. Oh, sure there was that game a fortnight or so ago against our little sister up north. But having watched that game, I learned that even with a subpar offensive line and an average running back, you can run the ball effectively against the Rebs. (It helps to have an offensive coordinator who recognizes this, however).

A solid offensive line with the Tongan Duo should put plenty of points on the board and keep Collie on the sidelines where we need him.

Of course, Bronco could also just raise his staff and tell Collie to look and be healed. {and Collie having his hat cocked sideways should give him a clear look}.

Of the two, I prefer the latter, but I think both are good strategies.
Judge Smails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If we do, then we suck.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I don't know that we'll need him to beat UNLV, however with Austin's competitive fire if he can go, he's gonna go.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road

I love that about Austin, but the coaches have to be smarter (and more firm). If he's anything less than 87.6%, he needs to sit it out. We're gonna need him desperately in November.

Incidentally, can anyone remember a single month of Cougar football that had a more pathetic schedule than October of 2007? It is seriously crap.
Judge Smails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure we'll need him, but I hope he'll be available if necessary.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
Sure he would help, but if we can get away with not playing him, that would give him 4 weeks between games (clearly he would sit Eastern Washington as well) to heal up.

It would be huge down the stretch to get him healthy, and I think it's a pretty wise choice to sit him for UNLV (unless he's healthier than I presume).

I've been hearing the "UNLV is tougher than they've ever been" speech, but are they? They got pummeled by a slightly better than mediocre Hawaii team at home and lost to a bad Nevada-Reno team. Oh, sure there was that game a fortnight or so ago against our little sister up north. But having watched that game, I learned that even with a subpar offensive line and an average running back, you can run the ball effectively against the Rebs. (It helps to have an offensive coordinator who recognizes this, however).

A solid offensive line with the Tongan Duo should put plenty of points on the board and keep Collie on the sidelines where we need him.

Of course, Bronco could also just raise his staff and tell Collie to look and be healed. {and Collie having his hat cocked sideways should give him a clear look}.

Of the two, I prefer the latter, but I think both are good strategies.
I want to see him totally healthy for November in order to make it a november to remember!

I think that a fully healthy Austin and a fresh and fully healthy Fui will make BYU's offense more dimensional.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I want to see him totally healthy for November in order to make it a november to remember!

I think that a fully healthy Austin and a fresh and fully healthy Fui will make BYU's offense more dimensional.
Fui will be back in time for EW, expect a few carries for him against easter washington just to get him taking hits again, and then expect a normal workload the following week.