cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Dish Network DVR hard drive dead

Dish wants me to pay to buy a new one.

I could switch to DirectTV and get a new one for free.

But I've heard you can't keep switching back and forth because they won't give you free stuff your next time back. Is this right? Or can I keep switching back and forth every couple years and collect the free stuff?

If true, I'd rather hold out until I really got pissed at Dish to switch, or wait to see how the mtn deal plays out, at least.

Can I use the threat to switch to DirectTV to get a free DVR out of Dish? What's my strategy on this?

Another question: if I buy a Dish DVR off ebay do I need to pay the $6 a month to Dish to use it?

I'd switch to Comcast to get mtn but not available in my neighborhood.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

i don't know if I've ever met anyone that has had both Dish and Directv and preferred Dish. Switch.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
i don't know if I've ever met anyone that has had both Dish and Directv and preferred Dish. Switch.
My parents started with Directv, now have Dish and like it better.

Sorry.

TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Dish wants me to pay to buy a new one.

I could switch to DirectTV and get a new one for free.

But I've heard you can't keep switching back and forth because they won't give you free stuff your next time back. Is this right? Or can I keep switching back and forth every couple years and collect the free stuff?

If true, I'd rather hold out until I really got pissed at Dish to switch, or wait to see how the mtn deal plays out, at least.

Can I use the threat to switch to DirectTV to get a free DVR out of Dish? What's my strategy on this?

Another question: if I buy a Dish DVR off ebay do I need to pay the $6 a month to Dish to use it?

I'd switch to Comcast to get mtn but not available in my neighborhood.

Mike or anyone else can you answer my other questions, especially about whether or not you can continue to get freebies switching back and forth? and if I can avoid the $6 monthly fee if I buy DVR on ebay?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if you can get freebies switching back and forth. I don't see why not, as long as you have fulfilled your contractual requirements (1 year?).

The monthly fee is a subscription, so yes you would have to pay it if you use the TIVO service. if you want to use it a like a VCR (setting all recording up manually) I don't think you need the subscription. In my book, the $6 is worth it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't know if you can get freebies switching back and forth. I don't see why not, as long as you have fulfilled your contractual requirements (1 year?).

The monthly fee is a subscription, so yes you would have to pay it if you use the TIVO service. if you want to use it a like a VCR (setting all recording up manually) I don't think you need the subscription. In my book, the $6 is worth it.
Thanks. I wonder why there is even an ebay market for Dish DVR's.