cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default I told y'all that this FLDS claim

was a ruse!

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=4678143&page=1

Anyone want to apologize to me? Oh, yeah my AG neighbor was wrong as well.

Any evidence of child abuse? Any evidence of men having sex in the temple?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow you certainly told us. Now why don't you spend your time getting after ABC News because you are the one who first broke the story on CougarGuard.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This becoming more of a mess every minute. Am I really reading that they are conducting hearings for all the children at one time? If that's the case, then the judge is beyond stupid.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

As I've said before, if there's abuse or other illegal things going on, by all means throw the book at those responsible.

At the same time, though, this continues to look like officials overreaching. Suspicion of nefarious things seems to be sufficient reason to do what's been done. Last night on Larry King the CPS guy from Cali was as scary as they get. He had the nerve to do an on-the-spot assessment of an FLDS woman who had given a tour of her home. Of course she seemed unstable, Mr. CPS guy, you just took her children from her home. The fellow was also sliding "non-normative" into "pathological."

If weird and reclusive is enough for CPS to take peoples' children from them, we definitely live in Amerika.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-18-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

now the justification according to the state is a "pervasive belief....that underage marriage and children having children was what they were supposed to do".

You can have your kids taken away forever based on what the state thinks you might believe.

(this in the Dallas Morning News I'm reading)
Old 04-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
now the justification according to the state is a "pervasive belief....that underage marriage and children having children was what they were supposed to do".

You can have your kids taken away forever based on what the state thinks you might believe.

(this in the Dallas Morning News I'm reading)
What religion is it that believes you don't need medicine or doctors. I think I have read where a child has died in whatever religion it is because of the parents refusal to take the child to a Dr.

Will they now be taking all the children out of those homes.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Another point: abuse, both physical and sexual, is common in foster care. I've personally talked to kids who were in foster care, and had been abused (often by other foster kids). I heard awful stuff.

http://www.liftingtheveil.org/foster04.htm

If the FLDS thing is stretching the foster care system thin (as has been reported), imagine how much worse it will be.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Jehovah's Witnesses refuse blood transfusions.

http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2...an-refuse.html
Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Another point: abuse, both physical and sexual, is common in foster care. I've personally talked to kids who were in foster care, and had been abused (often by other foster kids). I heard awful stuff.

http://www.liftingtheveil.org/foster04.htm

If the FLDS thing is stretching the foster care system thin (as has been reported), imagine how much worse it will be.
If the state was really looking out for the best interests of the kids, they would be put in LDS homes. The transistion would be easier. It would probably be a PR nightmare for the church though and I am sure the Baptists would go nuts. However, these kids have been taught about Joseph Smith and many things we believe. The transition would be easier, IMHO.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
If the state was really looking out for the best interests of the kids, they would be put in LDS homes. The transistion would be easier. It would probably be a PR nightmare for the church though and I am sure the Baptists would go nuts. However, these kids have been taught about Joseph Smith and many things we believe. The transition would be easier, IMHO.
The church is too busy condemning the media for mixing up FLDS and LDS. Helping the FLDS kids is the last thing the church would do. And that's the truth, from what I see.