cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Max Hall's improvement next year...

I just looked at Hall's PER in '07, it was 137. Same thing Beck had as a junior and one point below what Feterik had as a senior. When one considers that BYU scored 30 ppg without a field goal kicker, I think that really emphasizes the collective talent of this core of offensive players- specifically the skill players. As a junior, Beck had a similar PER but the team scored 33 ppg. Other comparison reference points are:

Name PER PPG
Beck -JR 137 33
Beck- SO 128 24 - Very difficult schedule noted.
Feterik- SR 138 27
Sark - SR 173 41
Sark - JR 150 28

As I look to next year, I really think that Hall will reach the 150 PER plateau. I also think that offense will be more effecient - whereas the model of innefeciency was Sark's junior year. It would not surprise me to see BYU score 37 ppg next year if Hall reaches a PER of 150. I would think that is a pretty natural improvement slope. Then his senior year his PER is likely over 160.

However, if Hall really grooves out his improvement like Sark did and gets a PER improvement of greater than 20, BYU might just have its best offense ever. I could see BYU having another 40 ppg year. Especially given the schedule including OOC games against Utah State and a one double eh. Saying that, Bronco tends to just grind out blowouts to keep them respectable.

Even as the realist that I am, I cannot grasp Pitta, Collie and Unga NOT improving significantly. Pitta and Collie's bodies will be light years ahead of where they were one year earlier. Unga was in his first year of college football.

While I expect the defense to drop a bit, I don't think it will be precipitous and it very well may even be better by the end of the year as I think the defensive backfield talent is as high as it has ever been at BYU. Further, I think punting, KO and the fact that BYU will have a field goal kicker will more than compensate for the defensive drop.

I really think we have something to be excited about.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I am excited.

really.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I am excited.

really.
But you are a stupid APE.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am excited.

really.
Yeah, now I won't sleep tonight.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am excited.

really.
So, that's NOT a gun in your pocket.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Just to clarify something, I want to point out that when you say "without a Field Goal Kicker" what you really mean is "with slightly more confidence kicking a FG from beyond the 25."

Point:
-In 2006, JMac was 14-18 in FG attempts. He was perfect inside 40 yards, and 4-8 from beyond 40.

-In 2007, Payne was 10-14 in FG attempts. He was perfect inside 30 yards, 2-3 from inside 40 (I believe his only miss was blocked, but I could be wrong), and 1-4 from beyond 40.

Throw in the fact that Payne missed just two PAT's, despite his ugly kicks, and at least one of those was blocked...compared to FOUR misses from JMac.

I was no great fan of Payne last year, but the kid was competent inside 40 yards, and didn't deserve half the shit he took from fans. Throw in the fact that he missed just two PAT's, despite his ugly kicks, and at least one of those was blocked...compared to
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Just to clarify something, I want to point out that when you say "without a Field Goal Kicker" what you really mean is "with slightly more confidence kicking a FG from beyond the 25."

Point:
-In 2006, JMac was 14-18 in FG attempts. He was perfect inside 40 yards, and 4-8 from beyond 40.

-In 2007, Payne was 10-14 in FG attempts. He was perfect inside 30 yards, 2-3 from inside 40 (I believe his only miss was blocked, but I could be wrong), and 1-4 from beyond 40.

Throw in the fact that Payne missed just two PAT's, despite his ugly kicks, and at least one of those was blocked...compared to FOUR misses from JMac.

I was no great fan of Payne last year, but the kid was competent inside 40 yards, and didn't deserve half the shit he took from fans. Throw in the fact that he missed just two PAT's, despite his ugly kicks, and at least one of those was blocked...compared to
BYU's biggest placekicking failure was on the kickoffs. Kicking out of bounds and having legs so weak they were forced to popfly kicks to the 20 just ain't cuttin' it, especially at 4,500 feet.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

Point:

The problem with your analysis is that it doesn't take into account the fact that the coaches had such little confidence in Payne that he only attempted FG's when they were slam dunks. Payne is not a good kicker. There is simply no way to spin it otherwise.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan

Last edited by non sequitur; 03-15-2008 at 08:29 AM.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
The problem with your analysis is that it doesn't take into account the fact that the coaches had just little confidence in Payne that he only attempted FG's when they were slam dunks. Payne is not a good kicker. There is simply no way to spin it otherwise.
He was also kicking all year long with an injured leg.

Still, it'll be nice to have Sorenson in tow.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

It is going to be real nice to see what kind of a contribution Justin Sorenson can make to the special teams. His highlight tapes seemed unreal.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote