cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bronco to UCLA wishful thinking

Quote:
Who is Dan Guerrero going to consider? No one knows for sure; and it appears that there is not going to be a committee set up to sift through candidates, perhaps leaving Guerrero and possibly (please, no) Bob Field as the "deciders." If we want to speculate and extrapolate, I think it is fair to say that Guerrero will look for a current head coach, not an assistant. I doubt if he will look to someone like Paul Johnson, though it's possible. UCLA always seems to want someone with a West Coast background. Thus Steve Mariucci and Jim Mora could be possibilities. I am wary of both, but would prefer Mariucci, who I think is more stable, probably more creative, and less likely to bolt back to the NFL. Some have mentioned Gary Pinkel of Missouri, but I would hesitate to hire someone who was 37-34 in six years at that school before finally having a really good team (in a year when the Big 12 is as weak as I have ever seen it). Bobby Hauck of Montana is getting some play; but I am not impressed enough by his work. I do like Bronco Mendenhall of BYU, whose teams carve up their Mountain West opponents with impressive efficiency. In fact, I think that Mendenhall has moved up to my second choice; but again, he is not getting much play, and I wonder if Guerrero is considering him. Other than that, your guess is about as good as mine. Anyone else other than a stunning surprise (Richt, Bob Stoops), though, would be a significant gamble. Never forget that getting rid of Dorrell, as important and gratifying as it will be, is not going to mean too much if we do not get the kind of football coach who will make us all proud. I will never forget how my immense excitement at the firing of Bob Toledo so quickly turned to despair when the hiring of Dorrell was announced.
http://www.bruinsnation.com/story/2007/11/21/83058/404
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

I think it is too early to tell what kind of offers Bronco might be getting. Most of these things go through an agent first anyway and Bronco might have told his agent that he isn't interested in looking. Bronco does have it pretty nice right now in Provo. He makes a good salary, lives close to family, doesn't have to travel much for recruiting. The Boosters love him to the point of rock star status. I could be wrong but I don't think Bronco is cut from the same fabric as other football coaches where ego, money, and golf play a huge importance in where they want to be.

As for UCLA, I think it is a tough sell because USC is the top program in the area and UCLA is the little sister when it comes to football. I can see Peterson bolt Boise State for UCLA but I bet UCLA will look for some retread from the NFL like a Mariucci.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

All signs point to Bronco being very happy here and staying.

He wants his kids to be raised in Alpine. He makes $1M to live in Utah County--plenty good enough. Based on his wife's appearance, I believe him when he says they are not driven by fame and fortune. He loves the church affiliation. He does seem to view his position at BYU as bigger than employment.

However, he does seem to be pretty offended by this segment of fans that boo'd him at the BC game and boo'd Santiago earlier this year. I could see him developing a martyr feeling like "I do all this for the university and church and community and they still don't appreciate me." That might be an unhappy way to live and could prompt him to look. Doubt it, but if he ever did leave, I bet that would be one of the reasons.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
However, he does seem to be pretty offended by this segment of fans that boo'd him at the BC game and boo'd Santiago earlier this year. I could see him developing a martyr feeling like "I do all this for the university and church and community and they still don't appreciate me." That might be an unhappy way to live and could prompt him to look. Doubt it, but if he ever did leave, I bet that would be one of the reasons.
Offended to the point of leaving? I bet they never booed Lloyd Carr at Michigan, and all he did was win a national championship.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Offended to the point of leaving? I bet they never booed Lloyd Carr at Michigan, and all he did was win a national championship.
No I don't expect it whatsover. I just find it very odd he keeps bringing it up to the point I wonder if he's obsessed with it. I'm just saying if he ever did leave, I could see that a possible reason.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
lol! Mike is now starting Bronco rumors on bruins nation! Your persistence is admirable Brother Waters.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote