cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 03:19 AM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default A religious C.V.

I guess before I start asking theological questions I should tell you what I believe.

I'm not going to assume that you guys all believe the same thing. But I'm guessing you guys at least know where everybody stands, for the most part.

So, here goes:

I was raised in one of those large, trendy, evangelical non-denominational churches. You guys from Texas know the ones I'm talking about. Mine was Calvinist. Unaffiliated, except with the Dallas Theological Seminary, where we get all our ministers.

The doctrine is extremely self-satisfied and exclusive. I was taught that anyone outside of a few branches of Protestantism has been deluded by Satan and is destined for hell for eternity. Further, I was taught that God planned it that way.

Jason and I met at the Baptist Student Union. We sat in the back and heckled. I'm not sure there have ever been BSU hecklers before. It was fun.

My belief now is quite straightforward. Christ said simply that we are to love the Lord with all our heart soul mind and strength, and love the neighbor as ourselves.

I believe that if anyone lives this commandment, he IS living the spirit of Christ, and has achieved salvation, regardless of the framework under which he practices religion. It's really that simple for me.

Perhaps the reality is much more complex than that, but that's the best I can make sense of.

BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:30 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My mom is a convert, returned missionary.

My dad grew up in the church (Southern Cal), returned missionary.

I grew up in Texas for the most part. I often felt very defensive about my religion. Like when I showed up for football orientation in junior high with a BYU shirt on. One of the black coaches said to me, "why would you want to wear a shirt like that?" Or when a basketball coach refused to give me the Coke that went to the winner of the basketball contest. Your persecution antenna is always up.

Anyway, I went on my mission to the isolated Pacific. I went because I wanted to. I had a great experience, best of my life. The other elders I served with, they are my brothers. I could go on and on. I found that it was quite a letdown to come back from my mission. I had no responsibilities, and it is easy to drift in a place where religion is not really on the frontburner. Yes, at BYU, in my experience, you end up talking and thinking about religion less than in an environment where your religion is the minority.

Fundamental to Mormon belief is the belief in the charasmatic experience. You won't convert to Mormonism because it makes sense. You will believe because the Holy Ghost will move you to believe. I like that about our religion.

I'm proud of my Mormon ancestors. Scrappy poor pioneers. Mostly English and Scandanavian stock.

On many levels it would make me very sad if my children abandoned Mormonism. Anyway, I am rambling, but that is a primer about me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:20 AM   #3
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I'll chime in:

I have an nth-generational Mormon background on both my parents sides. My dad is a 2-time mission president, former stake president, etc. All siblings are active and married in the temple. From all outward appearances I look like the typical Mormon guy and my family looks like the typical Mormon family; however, I question everything and am selective about what I actually believe. I often get irritated with Mormon culture and get especially irritated with those people that can't distinguish between Mormon culture/tradition and official doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I get irritated with people that can't accept that official doctrine can change over time.

I like how the priest in Rudy summed up his lifetime of religious study. He said he only came up with two incontrovertible facts: "There is a God, and I'm not Him". The list of things that I to consider to be hard truths is a bit longer than Father Cavanaugh's list - but not by much. Although I have many questions, doubts, snide remarks, and "I'll just have to wait and ask Him when I see Him" type issues, I am ultimately happier when I participate fully in the Mormon experience than when I don't. I acknowledge the possibility that this may be a purely irrational and emotional response on my part; however, I've made the decision to be a practicing Mormon despite what I consider to be Mormonism's warts.

P.S. - I believe that answers to many of life's questions can be found by watching Rudy. I have been known to show clips from Rudy when I teach Priesthood lessons.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I like how the priest in Rudy summed up his lifetime of religious study. He said he only came up with two incontrovertible facts: "There is a God, and I'm not Him". The list of things that I to consider to be hard truths is a bit longer than Father Cavanaugh's list - but not by much. Although I have many questions, doubts, snide remarks, and "I'll just have to wait and ask Him when I see Him" type issues, I am ultimately happier when I participate fully in the Mormon experience than when I don't. I acknowledge the possibility that this may be a purely irrational and emotional response on my part; however, I've made the decision to be a practicing Mormon despite what I consider to be Mormonism's warts.
Exactly. It is healthy to be able to question and critically evaluate a belief system. But it doesn't necessitate a divorce from the system.

Furthermore, I don't think there's any Biblical precedent for a Lone Ranger believer. I think we need fellowship and instruction.

I still attend church, although not the type I was raised in.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I'll chime in:

I have an nth-generational Mormon background on both my parents sides. My dad is a 2-time mission president, former stake president, etc. All siblings are active and married in the temple. From all outward appearances I look like the typical Mormon guy and my family looks like the typical Mormon family; however, I question everything and am selective about what I actually believe. I often get irritated with Mormon culture and get especially irritated with those people that can't distinguish between Mormon culture/tradition and official doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I get irritated with people that can't accept that official doctrine can change over time.

P.S. - I believe that answers to many of life's questions can be found by watching Rudy. I have been known to show clips from Rudy when I teach Priesthood lessons.
Interesting. Your background and perspective is nearly the same as mine.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Both of my parents converted in their late teens, mom in Alaska and Dad in Missouri (my wife's parent's are also converts). My parents met at BYU and I was raised in rural Utah. My upbringing was about the same as most of the nth generational Mormon's in terms of church teaching, but I've never felt very attached to some of the cultural aspects inherent in Mormonism. I served a mission, attended BYU and got married in the temple.

I've become somewhat of a religious libertarian. I realize that there are a lot of ways to live within a faith and I am just trying to do my best. I am quite solid in my faith, except on the point of home teaching*. I dislike home teaching and have succesfully avoided it for some time. I don't know why, as it is a wonderful program. It is just something that I really don't like doing. I haven't been home teaching once in about four years. I recognize that it is either selfishness or immaturity, but I've just never felt comfortable home teaching.

*A note for Barbara. Home teaching is where male members of a congregation are paired off into two's and are assigned a small number of families, usually about three or four, to watch over. Monthly visits are normally encouraged, but more may be required if the family has special needs.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a conversion story for you:
My dad grew up Catholic even attended private catholic school, my mom grew up with no religion or structure for that matter. My dad was 21 my mom 16 when they got married (they had been living together for about 3 years before they were married). My dad was a raging alcoholic, was never home in the first few years of my sister and my life he spent most of his time at the Bar.

When my sister was 5 years and i was 3, my sister developed tumors on her uterus and ovaries. Things became very bad, the doctors were not sure what was wrong or what to do. My sister also had some internal bleeding and became very sick. She was in and out of the hospital for several weeks. Finally the doctors decided to do a hysterectomy (sp?). So my parents 5 year old daughter was not going to ever have kids. They scheduled the surgery for the next morning. My dad went home that night, leaving my mom and sister at the hospital to get some clothes and things.

He was extremely scared and did not know what to do. So decided for the first time since he was a kid to pray. He got on his knees and he said that he prayed for at least an hour, begging god to heal his little girl. His said amen, and stood up and heard a knock on the door. He really didnt want to be bothered so he just ignored it, but the people at the door would not go away. He ignored it for about 10 minutes and finally he opened the door and standing there were two mormon missionaries (these missionaries are now very very good friends of our family). They told my dad they were LDS missionaries and that they had a message.

My dad who was very apprehensive of any religion invited them in it was about 8:30 at night. He sat their and listened to the first discussion and he said it just felt right, the missionaries went to set up another appointment for the next discussion and my dad asked them to stay and give it to him right then, they gave him all 5 discussions that night. He committed to be baptised that night as well. He asked them if there was anything he could do for his daughter, they told him that although he did not have the priesthood yet and could not administer a priesthood blessing that he could give her a fathers blessing.

He went to the hospital and gave my sister a fathers blessing, the next morning, the doctor had a premonition to run some more tests before the surgery, he took my sister in and all of the tumors were gone. She was completely healthy and did not have a single tumor on her body.

My dad quit drinking that night the missionaries came and has not had a drink since. My mom took the discussion over the next few days and they were baptised together a few weeks later. My sister is perfectly healthy with no ill effects. My dad doesnt like to tell this story because he said he almost doesnt believe it.

This is how my family was converted and why we believe the way we do.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

What an amazing story Cougjunkie, thanks for sharing it with us.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Incredible.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing cougjunkie. An amazing tale.