cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road
Default Did anyone see the proposed SLC arts district?

I think it is a great idea. I wish SLC could get the soccer stadium too (bwhy Real Salt Lake makes sense in Sandy is beyond me), but if we can get an arts district out of the deal, then so be it.

SLC needs some culture. If it actually went on Holding's property behind the federal courthouse, it would be perfect. That way, Main Street would have Temple Square and the arts district bookending it.

I really hope they try for another architectural gem in the city and don't settle for some crap design if this goes through. I love what they did with the library. Here's to hoping they are imaginative with the arts district too.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
fuegote

fuegote

I love it (for the fact that 1. I work downtown and 2. I'm somewhat interested in soccer )
Old 07-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
I love it (for the fact that 1. I work downtown and 2. I'm somewhat interested in soccer )

So what do you think of the stadium going to Sandy in exchange for an arts district? Would you have preferred to see it in SLC?

I really can't imagine why the stadium makes sense in Sandy (particularly since the team is called Real SALT LAKE), but, like I said, if it brings an arts district I can live with it.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
fuegote

fuegote

I live in Herriman. I would have gone to <gasp> utah county if they built it there. I would have gone to davis county as well. To me I don't care.

The fact that my commute will be cut in half.... I'm okay with that.

The fact that it still is Real Salt Lake can be interpreted with county instead of city.

the fact that the Galaxy are dubbed from LA even though they play in Carson City or FC Dallas who plays in Frisco... I'm okay with that.

I just want a stadium so I know my summers will be filled with soccer for years to come.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
fuegote

fuegote

BTW:
Real Madrid single-game tickets will be available only through the University of Utah ticket office located at the Southwest Corner of Rice-Eccles Stadium. Fans may also call 581-UTIX to contact the University of Utah ticket office directly or visit www.UtahTickets.com. Ticket prices for the historic showdown are as follows:
Corner Flag: $49.00

Premium: $79.00
VIP: $109.00
As an extra added bonus, fans that arrive at Rice-Eccles to take advantage of the single-game Real Madrid ticket offer will be able to purchase tickets for the US Open Cup game taking place that same evening for only $10.00. Real Salt Lake will play host to the Virginia Beach Mariners of the USL (United Soccer League) First Division, with first kick taking place at 7:00 p.m. MT. Season ticket holders will be able to gain access to the game using their “Bonus Game C” tickets.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:09 AM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
BTW:
Real Madrid single-game tickets will be available only through the University of Utah ticket office located at the Southwest Corner of Rice-Eccles Stadium. Fans may also call 581-UTIX to contact the University of Utah ticket office directly or visit www.UtahTickets.com. Ticket prices for the historic showdown are as follows:
Corner Flag: $49.00

Premium: $79.00
VIP: $109.00
As an extra added bonus, fans that arrive at Rice-Eccles to take advantage of the single-game Real Madrid ticket offer will be able to purchase tickets for the US Open Cup game taking place that same evening for only $10.00. Real Salt Lake will play host to the Virginia Beach Mariners of the USL (United Soccer League) First Division, with first kick taking place at 7:00 p.m. MT. Season ticket holders will be able to gain access to the game using their “Bonus Game C” tickets.
I got cheaper tix at Costco for $45 bucks.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
El Guapo

Now it sounds like the deal may be dead and Anderson may be winning the bid to put the stadium at the fairgrounds. I would prefer to see it at the fairgrounds since I think SLC will eventually get an arts district anyways. Better to have both the arts and soccer I say.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
El Guapo

Many are now claiming soccer may be dead in Utah.

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0...194139,00.html

I don't think that is the case. I can't imagine Utah won't find a way to get a stadium and keep soccer. If they can't do something as simple as that, well...

I would be really sad to see RSL leave. I love having them in town. I think this is more of a bluff than anything to get the county moving on the project, but I hope SL County takes them seriously.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
Many are now claiming soccer may be dead in Utah.

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0...194139,00.html

I don't think that is the case. I can't imagine Utah won't find a way to get a stadium and keep soccer. If they can't do something as simple as that, well...

I would be really sad to see RSL leave. I love having them in town. I think this is more of a bluff than anything to get the county moving on the project, but I hope SL County takes them seriously.
I don't. I'm ticked at both sides. To RSL, if this was truely about the stadium and the fans, the stadium would be under construction. It's the additional projects attached to the stadium that the council is not moving on. It's not in the council's 20 year plan.

tremendously pissed right now.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
El Guapo

Quote:
I don't. I'm ticked at both sides. To RSL, if this was truely about the stadium and the fans, the stadium would be under construction. It's the additional projects attached to the stadium that the council is not moving on. It's not in the council's 20 year plan.

tremendously pissed right now.

What do you want RSL to do differently? I can't say I blame them for wanting public funding for some of the stadium. Other cities they looked at were willing to give them public funding (like St. Louis and Rochester). From a business perspective, I would want it too if I were them.

From SLC perspective, I don't see why they can't get this together. A stadium would raise a ton of cash from tax revenues. It would attract people and their money to downtown. It seems like a great investment to me.