cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Classic Amanpour

I don't know why I'm posting this ... it's not as though Christiane Amanpour's anti-American animus is some secret, but this is truly obscene.

She visits a torture prison of Pol Pot's, learning in the process about how male prisoners "were whipped raw, their fingernails were yanked out, they were hogtied to wooden bars. Prison guards mutilated women's genitals, ripped off their nipples with pliers. And worst of all, babies were ripped from their mothers' arms and slaughtered."

Oh, and waterboarding.

Thus, Pol Pot = America.

"Reporting from Washingt ... er, Cambodia, this is Christiane Amanpour."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc...ref=newssearch

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank God for people like Amanpour who is not afraid to call evil what it is.

That's your problem Tex. When evil cloaks itself in the robes of righteousness, you cannot recognize it. You don't have the gift.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

That's your problem Tex. When evil cloaks itself in the robes of righteousness, you cannot recognize it. You don't have the gift.
I don't think America is evil, no. So shoot me ... er, I mean, rip out my fingernails.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

or is it more like comparing apples to potatoes ... after all in French it's called une pomme de terre !
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Please Mike, Amanpour is a liberal hack. She has a very bias view of what is or isn't evil. Let her talk, but don't praise her like she is some kind of God send.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
or is it more like comparing apples to potatoes ... after all in French it's called une pomme de terre !

I always wondered about that. Some French guy first sees a potato and all he can think of is Apple from the Earth? I assume it was a metaphor?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I always wondered about that. Some French guy first sees a potato and all he can think of is Apple from the Earth? I assume it was a metaphor?
The dutch word is "aardappel" which translates to earth apple. I wonder who coined it first?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One of his paintings shows a prisoner blindfolded and hoisted onto a makeshift scaffold by two guards. He is then lowered head first into a massive barrel of water. Another shows a prisoner with cloth over his face, writhing as an interrogator pours water over his head.

Van Nath still remembers the accompanying screams: "It sounded like when we are really in pain, choking in water," he told me. "The sound was screaming, from the throat. I suppose they could not bear the torture.

"Whenever we heard the noises we were really shocked and scared. We thought one day they will do the same thing to us."

I asked Van Nath whether he had heard this was once used on America's terrorist suspects. He nodded his head. "It's not right," he said.

But I pressed him: Is it torture? "Yes," he said quietly, "it is severe torture. We could try it and see how we would react if we are choking under water for just two minutes. It is very serious."
I'm gonna take this survivor's word that this is torture. America shouldn't be doing it

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
I'm gonna take this survivor's word that this is torture. America shouldn't be doing it
That's a debate we can have, Frank. The point is, there's no way America is in any way similar to Pol Pot's regime, yet that is exactly the parallel Amanpour wants you to draw.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think Tex was pretty clear in pointing out that to compare rigorous torture using methods described to limited torture involving waterboarding is dishonest.

And he's right, regardless of your position on the use of waterboarding on terrorists.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote