cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Speaking of classic rock

I downloaded a copy of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly the other day and I have really been enjoying it. This song was released as a single and as part of an album in 1968 and again as a live album in 1970. I remember quite vividly when I was just a young kid and my older brother put a new 8-track stereo in his car and this was the first tape he bought. We thought it was the coolest thing ever. The track is 17 minutes long, features awesome guitar riffs, keyboards, and a terrific drum solo. It has a good steady beat for running or working out via the iPod.

In the copy I have, you can hear the needle in the vinyl at the beginning of the song, which of course is perfect.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I downloaded a copy of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly the other day and I have really been enjoying it. This song was released as a single and as part of an album in 1968 and again as a live album in 1970. I remember quite vividly when I was just a young kid and my older brother put a new 8-track stereo in his car and this was the first tape he bought. We thought it was the coolest thing ever. The track is 17 minutes long, features awesome guitar riffs, keyboards, and a terrific drum solo. It has a good steady beat for running or working out via the iPod.

In the copy I have, you can hear the needle in the vinyl at the beginning of the song, which of course is perfect.

IN one of the bands I was in (this was about 1976-77) we covered this song. I played keys so I started the show and then we all just sort of put our heads down, long hair covering our eyes, and played pretty much whatever we felt like doing (straying roughly in the chord structure) for about 20 minutes. We thought we were pretty cool. Our lead guitarist told me it was much better if you did this while tripping, but I never found out.

You know, I suspect, that Doug Ingle of Iron Butterfly, who was inspired to come up with thpose great lyrics and short, punchy, redundnat but catchy riff, oringinally wrote "In The Garden of Eden" but due to drug or alcohol intoxication slurred it into In da Gadda do Vida? This is true, I believe.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
IN one of the bands I was in (this was about 1976-77) we covered this song. I played keys so I started the show and then we all just sort of put our heads down, long hair covering our eyes, and played pretty much whatever we felt like doing (straying roughly in the chord structure) for about 20 minutes. We thought we were pretty cool. Our lead guitarist told me it was much better if you did this while tripping, but I never found out.

You know, I suspect, that Doug Ingle of Iron Butterfly, who was inspired to come up with thpose great lyrics and short, punchy, redundnat but catchy riff, oringinally wrote "In The Garden of Eden" but due to drug or alcohol intoxication slurred it into In da Gadda do Vida? This is true, I believe.
I will download that as it is truly awesome. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:19 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

My mom taught piano lessons when I was growing up and one day she introduced me to the uncle of one of her students as I was returning home from school. I nodded hello and then she said "he was the drummer for Iron Butterfly" so I shook his hand.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Their bassist, Philip Kramer, lived in Thousand Oaks for years. He actually taught what was sort of a "School of Rock" type of after-school class for youth....a conservatory of sorts, with a music emphasis.

If anyone is unaware, he disappeared in a very bizarre incident. he calls the FBI or someone and says that he is about to kill himself and that OJ is innocent. He is never heard from again. About 4 years later, his remains were found, as was his van, at the bottom of a canyon in Malibu.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
And of course, we would all love to see this on YouTube if you can dig up some old film.

Quote:
That's what it says on wikipedia.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:08 AM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I will download that as it is truly awesome. Thanks.
They don't have it on iTunes. Not the long version anyway.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

OK, I was walking in to the MC tonight to watch the Cougs earn yet another OCC (yawn...) and I noticed that the campus carillon bells were playing. I was thinking to myself "I wonder what hymn they will play tonight?". At that moment, they started a new tune. And ...as God is my witness... they played In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. It was awesome.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:42 AM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
OK, I was walking in to the MC tonight to watch the Cougs earn yet another OCC (yawn...) and I noticed that the campus carillon bells were playing. I was thinking to myself "I wonder what hymn they will play tonight?". At that moment, they started a new tune. And ...as God is my witness... they played In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. It was awesome.
If I was in Provo I would loan you the orignal vinyl version, whcih I think I have stored in my attic right now.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:07 AM   #10
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That reminds me as I go through the grocery store and they are playing songs from thirty years ago that seemed so radical at the time. It makes me smile.

I wonder how long until MoTab covers In-A-Godda-Da-Vida?

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote