cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default What are you major challenges with your kids?

While they were growing up I would worry about them becoming rebellious and turning to drugs and alcohol but that hasn't happened. My biggest challenge has been lighting a fire under my youngest son's butt. I try to make him realize that school is important, that the harder he works at his sports the more success that will come his way and that a person can't just cruise through life. He's getting tired of hearing this from his dad but it's driving me crazy.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Not beating the shit out of her.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I was a good kid, so I have good karma going for me. A lot of you f-ers on this board were doping spolied ingrates, so we call that around here on planet earth, "bad karma".
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Viking has hit the nail on the head.

For my kids, who are basically good kids, lighting a fire under them so that they have enough ambition.

They generally succeed, and the boys are more ambitious than the girls, but none of my kids go the extra mile to get better. The only extra miles run, are with me pushing the kid.

For example, my son wishes to learn languages, but only when I spoon feed him. I remember taking dictionaries, grammars and others to learn them, because nobody in my family could help me. I built a crude, virtually useless proto computer in the seventies.

My kids sit watching mindless tv, or playing X Box. Only when dad gets home and asks about Y, does it get done. So it's almost as if kids have no ambition, no desire. They don't even have the desire to get into trouble, which I experienced quite often.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't get my son to color. He wants me to color and draw, but he won't.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

My 9-yo son's a whiner and sort of weenie-ish. An example: the kids are out playing with water. He squirts our girl (10) with the hose or something and runs away. She gets a bucket and throws water at him, getting his shoes wet. He comes in crying that she got him wet.

We don't coddle him (although my ex-wife did - and she also has a major victim complex, which I'm sure has rubbed off on him), but this is still virtually a daily occurrence. Over and over games that the neighborhood kids are playing end with him running in crying because someone offended him.

It's getting pretty old.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

14 year old: Easiest kid in the world. Self-motivated re: academics and to this point has kept his nose clean. Has some potential to rebel without me ever realizing it (he reminds me a lot of myself at his age). Toughest challenge with him is that he constantly riles up/teases the younger kids. At times it's enough that I want to beat him but to this point I've refrained.

6 year old: Drama queen. Very reactionary and oldest brother loves to take advantage of that.

3 year old: Keeping him in the house and out of the street. He's very stealthy and adventurous.

1 year old: Sneaks into our bed every night. Has figured out that if she does so past about 2am mom and dad are too tired to put her back.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the same boat with those that say lack of fire. My oldest is only 7 so there is time to "kick start his heart". Any suggestions?
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I am in the same boat with those that say lack of fire. My oldest is only 7 so there is time to "kick start his heart". Any suggestions?
Well I've got 19, 17, 14 and 10. In our society, it's tough for them to have fire if you provide a lot.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post

Arch is on to something here. Don't give them too much. I think it may be that simple (in most cases; YMMV).