cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Biden

You are bald. You know it. We know it. Your two foot long comb-back hairs know it. Embrace it.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

He unabashadly has hair plugs. His plugs constitute the combover, and he's not ashamed. I like the man.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:17 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
He unabashadly has hair plugs. His plugs constitute the combover, and he's not ashamed. I like the man.
I hated him for screwing Bork, who deserved to be on the Supreme Court. He is an ass.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I hated him for screwing Bork, who deserved to be on the Supreme Court. He is an ass.
A-freaking-men.

Obama/Biden - change we can laugh about because it doesn't exist.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
A-freaking-men.

Obama/Biden - change we can laugh about because it doesn't exist.
Those hearings made it very difficult to confirm good qualified judges with distinguished records.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Those hearings made it very difficult to confirm good qualified judges with distinguished records.
I remember those hearings. I was still in my "I have other things I'd rather think about" stage, but I do remember thinking that Bork had really been treated rather harshly.

Didn't Biden also lead the attempt to torpedo the Thomas nomination?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:37 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I remember those hearings. I was still in my "I have other things I'd rather think about" stage, but I do remember thinking that Bork had really been treated rather harshly.

Didn't Biden also lead the attempt to torpedo the Thomas nomination?
Since those days, confirmations are extremely politicized, and the presidents now resort to finding people without written work. Roberts and Alito are good judges and exceptions but Souter and Ginsburg are not.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Since those days, confirmations are extremely politicized, and the presidents now resort to finding people without written work. Roberts and Alito are good judges and exceptions but Souter and Ginsburg are not.
This is BS.

Alito had more of a written record than almost any nominee in recent memory. He was on the appellate bench for 15+ years. He wrote thousands of opinions. That's a written record that actually means something.

And why are Souter and Ginsburg not good judges? You don't like their take on the law, but your contention that they are not good judges is unsupportable.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
This is BS.

Alito had more of a written record than almost any nominee in recent memory. He was on the appellate bench for 15+ years. He wrote thousands of opinions. That's a written record that actually means something.

And why are Souter and Ginsburg not good judges? You don't like their take on the law, but your contention that they are not good judges is unsupportable.
I don't like their take on the law, don't find their reasoning persuasive and generally find them to be mediocre. Just because you attend a fancy smancy law school and live in Virginia doesn't make your opinion worth more. Many in the law don't regard them as good justices.

Thomas is ordinary, Souter never deserved to be there, and Ginsburg made only on the basis of gender and her liberal bias.

Alito was an exception, if you failed to read above. Up yours with your Eastern bias.