cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Max Hall

I read where Max Hall was listed in some rag as the 3rd best Heisman Trophy Candidate at non-BCS schools. Am I the only one not convinced that Max Hall is *that* good?

Here is the obligatory I love Max...I love Max Hall. I think he is a very solid college qb, however I think he has been the recepient of about the best supporting cast a new qb at BYU has enjoyed since Ty Detmer. BYU has as many offensive weapons at Max's disposal as any qb has enjoyed, and he is playing behind about the deepest and most capable BYU lines. The guy stepped into an absolute gold mine as a quarterback.

I thought that Max's greatest attributes are his mental game. I think he saw the field really well for such a young qb. I don't think he has great tangibles, especially compared to John Beck, but they are adequate enough at the college level. It speaks to me of the crucial importance of the mental game, I thought that Hall was a much better qb as a sophmore than Beck - although it is tough to reconcile the differences in supporting cast. However, I am still skeptical that Hall will reach Beck's ceiling. Saying that, Hall also has some serious big balls. He took some hellacious hits and just kept getting back up to do his job. He seems to have a good personality and the leadership to bring the various weapons at his disposal together into a cohesive unit. However, I am not convinced he has all that much going on physically than say Feterick. But I am convinced that Hall's teamates respect him infintely more than Feterick. Hall proved himself a warrior last year.

If BYU is going to have a great year, I think the player offensively who really needs to improve is Hall. If he can get his PER up above 155, BYU is going to be hard to stop. That is a huge jump though from last year where his PER was 137. To be honest, it is a statement to his surrounding cast that BYU went 11-2 and finished in the AP top 15 with a qb whose PER was 137. Not that 137 is bad but historically I would be surprised how many double digit winning seasons BYU had with a starting qb whose PER was only 137.

I have read accounts that Hall looked Beckesque in Spring Ball this past year. Apparantly, many really think he took a huge step forward. While he was good mentally last year, now with the experience he has he understands opposing defenses and his offense so much better that the reports I heard had him completing just about every pass. That offense in 2006 became so machinelike and many think that Hall should be able to direct that type of effeciency this upcoming year. I still doubt that Hall will ever be able to do some of the things Beck did as a senior just because Hall doesn't have Beck's armstrength. One thing I would like to see is Hall running more often, especially in the blue zone where BYU got bogged down on occassion.

It will be really interesting to see how much Hall trully improves this upcoming year. He is one hell of a gamer and now with his experience and the experience of his supporting cast, if he is trully great, he should be able to put up some fantastic numbers.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96

Default BYU double digit win years and PER

'79 Marc Wilson PER - 147 11 Wins
'80 Jimmy Mac PER - 176 12 Wins
'81 Jimmy Mac PER - 155 12 Wins
'83 Steve Young PER - 168 12 Wins
'84 Bobby Roscoe PER 152 13 Wins
'85 Bobby Roscoe PER 146 10 Wins
'89 Ty PER- 175 10 Wins
'90 Ty PER - 156 10 Wins
'94 Walsh PER - 143 10 Wins
'96 Sark PER - 173 14 Wins
'01 Doman PER - 159 12 Wins
'06 Beck PER - 169 11 Wins

In total, BYU has had three below 150 PER double digit win years 1979, 1994 and 2007..The next one should be 2018. Hall's PER of 137 was by far the lowest of the bunch.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I love Hall as well, I think he can surpass Beck. He does need to scramble more and learn how to feel and escape the pass rush on his blindside.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I love Hall as well, I think he can surpass Beck. He does need to scramble more and learn how to feel and escape the pass rush on his blindside.
If what I have read about his improved grasp of the offense and defense is true, I doubt the blindside rush will get to him very often. I expect he will deliver the ball too quickly.

What I would like to see is some planned rushes to force teams to respect it, especially in the blue zone.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I read where Max Hall was listed in some rag as the 3rd best Heisman Trophy Candidate at non-BCS schools. Am I the only one not convinced that Max Hall is *that* good?

Here is the obligatory I love Max...I love Max Hall. I think he is a very solid college qb, however I think he has been the recepient of about the best supporting cast a new qb at BYU has enjoyed since Ty Detmer. BYU has as many offensive weapons at Max's disposal as any qb has enjoyed, and he is playing behind about the deepest and most capable BYU lines. The guy stepped into an absolute gold mine as a quarterback.

I thought that Max's greatest attributes are his mental game. I think he saw the field really well for such a young qb. I don't think he has great tangibles, especially compared to John Beck, but they are adequate enough at the college level. It speaks to me of the crucial importance of the mental game, I thought that Hall was a much better qb as a sophmore than Beck - although it is tough to reconcile the differences in supporting cast. However, I am still skeptical that Hall will reach Beck's ceiling. Saying that, Hall also has some serious big balls. He took some hellacious hits and just kept getting back up to do his job. He seems to have a good personality and the leadership to bring the various weapons at his disposal together into a cohesive unit. However, I am not convinced he has all that much going on physically than say Feterick. But I am convinced that Hall's teamates respect him infintely more than Feterick. Hall proved himself a warrior last year.

If BYU is going to have a great year, I think the player offensively who really needs to improve is Hall. If he can get his PER up above 155, BYU is going to be hard to stop. That is a huge jump though from last year where his PER was 137. To be honest, it is a statement to his surrounding cast that BYU went 11-2 and finished in the AP top 15 with a qb whose PER was 137. Not that 137 is bad but historically I would be surprised how many double digit winning seasons BYU had with a starting qb whose PER was only 137.

I have read accounts that Hall looked Beckesque in Spring Ball this past year. Apparantly, many really think he took a huge step forward. While he was good mentally last year, now with the experience he has he understands opposing defenses and his offense so much better that the reports I heard had him completing just about every pass. That offense in 2006 became so machinelike and many think that Hall should be able to direct that type of effeciency this upcoming year. I still doubt that Hall will ever be able to do some of the things Beck did as a senior just because Hall doesn't have Beck's armstrength. One thing I would like to see is Hall running more often, especially in the blue zone where BYU got bogged down on occassion.

It will be really interesting to see how much Hall trully improves this upcoming year. He is one hell of a gamer and now with his experience and the experience of his supporting cast, if he is trully great, he should be able to put up some fantastic numbers.
As far as Hall is concerned, I think what he lacks in armstrength he makes up for in ballseyness. My biggest complaint with Beck is at times he was almost too protective of the ball. He didn't take as many risks as he could have/should have until his Senior year when he was one of the better QBs BYU had seen in a long, long time. Hall does not have the tools Beck does, but he isn't afraid to make some mistakes that Beck was, IMO. Now, at times this leads to turnovers or stupid decisions, but it also leads to big plays. For who Hall is, I can live with a lot of his mistakes.

I think where most BYU fans get excited about Hall is that last year was his first year playing competitive football in almost 4 years. Showing what he showed last year, and being able to improve upon it will go a long ways. Beck showed some amazing flashes as a Freshman in Spring Ball, and showed some good things during the season as well, but watching Beck progress to get to where he was at as a Senior was not an over-night process. I think Hall can improve as well, though I don't believe he'll be able to do all the things Beck was able to his senior year, based on physical limitations. Of course, Detmer didn't have the arm strength Beck did either, so who knows.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Hall just has to dink and dunk and hand off and make the occasional fade pass or post pattern AND DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER.
And pull off the occassional a 40 yard pass under pressure on 4th and 18. I think I need to go watch that highlight.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
What I would like to see is some planned rushes to force teams to respect it, especially in the blue zone.
What the hell? YOU are using "blue zone"?

You deserve to and will be mocked for this.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
What the hell? YOU are using "blue zone"?

You deserve to and will be mocked for this.
This post reminds me of my favorite song...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Il Pad is a Zoot!
Il Pad is a Zoot!
Everybody sing with me,
Il Pad is a Zoot!

Il Pad is a Zoot!
Oh, my what a hoot!
Not a zoobie, not a Ute but
Il Pad is a Zoot!

Everybody Now!

Il Pad is a Zoot!
Il Pad is a Zoot!
Not a zoobie, not a Ute but
Il Pad is a Zoot!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Max Hall could easily be the third best non-bcs candidate for the Heisman. That would put him somewhere between, oh, 30-40th on the list?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
This post reminds me of my favorite song...
I was thinking the same thing until I imagined Max Hall running a veer option left the BLUE ZONE!