cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Every ward has one..........

So we have a guy in our ward that just cant seem to accept the fact that the bishop is the bishop and that he is doing what he thinks is best for the ward. 3 weeks ago in priesthood opening excercises he says:

"I just want to let the bishopric know that they should pay closer attention during the sacrament prayer, the boy blessing it messed up and they let it go, therefore they are now responsible for the whole congregation not being able to renew their covenants with the lord"

The bishop is brand new, just said thank you we will pay closer attention.

He makes comments like this all the time, during every lesson, etc.

So on Sunday the bishop asks that if there are not enough deacons to pass the sacrament to please take the initiative to go up there and not wait to be asked, he responds with:

"There is an order in the church that says if there are no deacons, then you go to the teachers, no teachers then to the priests, no priests then to the Young mens presidency, after you have exhausted all of those options only then do you ask the congregation"

This finally set off another guy in our ward who responded with:

"There is also an order in the church that says that the bishop is called of god and if he asks you to do something chances are its in the best interest of the ward"

This old guy gets pissed and they literally start yelling at each other, the bishop actually sits there for a minute before intervening. I honestly could not stop laughing, the know it all was sitting two people away and kept glaring at me. I was seriously laughing hard. I cant wait for this week, after he left (he is a HP) The whole Elders quorum started laughing and we decided to give the deacons and teachers the day off next sunday and all of us pass just to piss him off.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
So we have a guy in our ward that just cant seem to accept the fact that the bishop is the bishop and that he is doing what he thinks is best for the ward. 3 weeks ago in priesthood opening excercises he says:

"I just want to let the bishopric know that they should pay closer attention during the sacrament prayer, the boy blessing it messed up and they let it go, therefore they are now responsible for the whole congregation not being able to renew their covenants with the lord"

So on Sunday the bishop asks that if there are not enough deacons to pass the sacrament to please take the initiative to go up there and not wait to be asked, he responds with:

"There is an order in the church that says if there are no deacons, then you go to the teachers, no teachers then to the priests, no priests then to the Young mens presidency, after you have exhausted all of those options only then do you ask the congregation"

"There is also an order in the church that says that the bishop is called of god and if he asks you to do something chances are its in the best interest of the ward"

This old guy gets pissed and they literally start yelling at each other, the bishop actually sits there for a minute before intervening. I honestly could not stop laughing, the know it all was sitting two people away and kept glaring at me. I was seriously laughing hard. I cant wait for this week, after he left (he is a HP) The whole Elders quorum started laughing and we decided to give the deacons and teachers the day off next sunday and all of us pass just to piss him off.
Why not have the Elder's take the day off too? It sounds like this guy thinks passing the sacrament is beneath him.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

In my ward growing up, we had the yearly Haddow rant on Church basketball...I always looked forward to that.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

We need this guy on Cougarguard ASAP. He has a nice mix of standing up to errant leadership and mullah-ish tendencies. Truly a Renaissance Man.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I wish my current ward had one. I would attend Priesthood meeting more often and CG less often.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Archaea pines for this stuff to break up the monotony of church. You should feel lucky.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
In my ward growing up, we had the yearly Haddow rant on Church basketball...I always looked forward to that.
I haven't heard this one. Please explain. Most of the Haddow rants I've heard have centered around how rich and awesome he is, and why nobody else can compete with his righteousness.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
We need this guy on Cougarguard ASAP. He has a nice mix of standing up to errant leadership and mullah-ish tendencies. Truly a Renaissance Man.
What makes you think he's not already there? Sounds like whitney64, if ever any man did.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

We are basically talking about the "orthodox busybodies" prevalent in many residential wards. This is another reason why I enjoy student/singles wards - there is a more genuine spirit of Christlike love and less competitiveness.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
We are basically talking about the "orthodox busybodies" prevalent in many residential wards. This is another reason why I enjoy student/singles wards - there is a more genuine spirit of Christlike love and less competitiveness.
lol....you think there's less competitiveness in a singles wards?

I have to admit that is one of the better laughs I've had in a while.