cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Iraq worth your son dying for
yes 7 38.89%
no 11 61.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you had a son who enlisted in the marines

and let's say you had a prophetic vision, that if stayed enlisted, he would die in Iraq.

Given he just signed up, he has two months to change his mind.

Do you consider the cause in Iraq to be worth having your son die for?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

It's not up to me to decide what is worth my son dying for. That's his choice to make. It's any person's choice to make that joins the military. Anyone that joins the military knows full well that they could be killed. Yes, even killed for reasons that they do not personally agree with. Our military is VOLUNTARY though, so if you don't want to die for a cause you feel is not worth dying for, then don't sign up!
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the military was for marching out in the Nevada desert for 4 years so you could get your college paid. Who screwed with that sweet deal???
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Norcal, just out of curiosity, what's preventing you from enlisting?

i assume there are some things you consider more important than risking your life in Iraq, right?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I thought the military was for marching out in the Nevada desert for 4 years so you could get your college paid. Who screwed with that sweet deal???
Indy, you did realize that when you are banned on CB, you aren't banned on CG as well?

The sites are not the same. FYI.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The poll is bullshit. It presumes that the life of a soldier dying in Iraq was wasted but one dying in France or the Philipines was not. I'd be equally proud of sons dying in either context, and revere them, and be equally proud of them for going to fight. America is worth dying for anyplace anytime. Stick your poll, waters, it's offensive. Go vote Obama, you're kindred souls.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and let's say you had a prophetic vision, that if stayed enlisted, he would die in Iraq.

Given he just signed up, he has two months to change his mind.

Do you consider the cause in Iraq to be worth having your son die for?
Way to contaminate your own survey.

Frankly, if I had a vision that my son was going to surely die doing most anything (such as saving your life, going on a mission, discovering a cure for some desease, etc.), I would probably be so selfish that I would intervene to prevent his participation.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Deleted

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The poll is bullshit. It presumes that the life of a soldier dying in Iraq was wasted but one dying in France or the Philipines was not. I'd be equally proud of sons dying in either context, and revere them, and be equally proud of them for going to fight. America is worth dying for anyplace anytime. Stick your poll, waters, it's offensive. Go vote Obama, you're kindred souls.
Hallelujah!!!!

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
God, I would love for you to be president. Send our young people to die in the name of American "prestige". How heroic.

Some things are worth dying for. Some things are not.

Americans are voting with their feet. Iraq, outside of the moral responsibility to clean up one's mess, is not worth dying for.

I have a feeling if McCain is elected president, he will finish what W. started. That is, completely destroy the GOP forever.