cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default Who is the more formidable candidate?

Leaving current polls aside (if you can), who do you currently think will be tougher for McCain to beat in November? And has your opinion changed (maybe even more than once) throughout the course of the primary race?

I guess I think Clinton will be tougher to beat, but I'm not totally sure about that. I'm sure there are many opposing views here.

And try to be nice. No personal attacks against Senator Clinton required. (and I realize that by putting that I am inviting them).
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Clinton motivates the GOP base more.

But of course the fact that Obama is liberal and black motivates the GOP base as well.

Personally, Clinton motivates me more to support McCain. I can't stand the Clintons.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Leaving current polls aside (if you can), who do you currently think will be tougher for McCain to beat in November? And has your opinion changed (maybe even more than once) throughout the course of the primary race?

I guess I think Clinton will be tougher to beat, but I'm not totally sure about that. I'm sure there are many opposing views here.

And try to be nice. No personal attacks against Senator Clinton required. (and I realize that by putting that I am inviting them).
Obama, and it isn't even close. Putting aside whatever you feel about either candidate, the only way Clinton becomes the nominee is by getting the superdelegates to overturn the vote of the people, which in turn destroys the party completely. The convention would be a disaster with, I would imagine, hundreds of delegates boycotting. Fundraising would dry up (it already has for her with the exception of the brief bump she will enjoy from Penn). Her donors are already 100% tapped out. She can't win at this point. Obama can. So even if you think Obama has a 0.0000001% chance of winning, that makes him more electable.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default 'Black' motivates the GOP base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

But of course the fact that Obama is liberal and black motivates the GOP base as well.

Personally, Clinton motivates me more to support McCain. I can't stand the Clintons.
How so?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Racism.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I've long been of the opinion that Clinton is easier to beat, mostly because of her high negatives (and not just among Republicans). But Obama is proving to be as inexperienced and elitist as his minimal record suggests, and that bodes well.

A lot of "who is more electable" turns on issues. If national security proves to be a significant issue (and I think it will), Obama is definitely the weaker candidate.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default More so than Democrats?

Quote:
Racism.
I don't think so. you live in the South. It's alive with Blue dog Dems as well.

I think the difference between the two parties and their views of blacks is that the Repubs value successful AA. Dem's simply call them Uncle Tom.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
RedHeadGal

Quote:

yes, I believe you've mentioned your feelings before.

I agree that it seems many GOP supporters will be motivated to vote against the Dem either way. If I knew which way it would cut deeper, that would certainly be vary valuable information. McCain hasn't got all that much the mainstream wants to support.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Obama. Race factor, not female and not a history of huge baggage which Clinton has.

Clinton will impair the Democratic Party if she wins via the Super Delegates. We can only hope this happens. Please, please, please destroy the Democrats.

Kill each other.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Obama, and it isn't even close. Putting aside whatever you feel about either candidate, the only way Clinton becomes the nominee is by getting the superdelegates to overturn the vote of the people, which in turn destroys the party completely. The convention would be a disaster with, I would imagine, hundreds of delegates boycotting. Fundraising would dry up (it already has for her with the exception of the brief bump she will enjoy from Penn). Her donors are already 100% tapped out. She can't win at this point. Obama can. So even if you think Obama has a 0.0000001% chance of winning, that makes him more electable.
I agree with you that Obama is the virtually the presumptive nominee. However, I disagree that in the unlikely event that Clinton gets the nomination by taking it to the convention that it would be a disaster. Or that she can't raise any more money.

Last edited by RedHeadGal; 04-23-2008 at 03:25 PM.