cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Halloween -- Traditions and Costumes

I have always found Halloween to be a load of fun, even as a 35 year old adult. Beyond the candy and the food, it is the one day of the year that I feel like I really share a bond with all my Pagan and Wiccan friends/coworkers. Most of the year, I have no interest in hearing their ramblings about Samhain, but come October 31, I really want to listen.

Growing up, my family has always had a few traditions that we are now implementing as parents in our own home.

First, everyone dresses up. You have to do something, even if it isnt ornate. A wig, a mask, a scary catheter....something that shows a little effort.

Second, we always make the homemade donuts. Although my wife and I have tweaked that tradition a bit and, in the spirit of SoCal, we make homemade churros. These are delicious and meritorious of their own holiday.

Third, as kids, we always looked forward to October because it was the only time of the year we could catch "Mad Monster Party" on TV. For those not in the pop-culture "know," MMP is an old Rankin-Bass claymation full-length (think Rudolph, Heatmeiser, et al) that centers around an Island Party thrown by Baron Von Frankenstein. he invites all the monsters to attend, as well as his non Monster nephew, Felix Flankin. Hilarity ensues. Anyhow, to keep this trend alive, I intoduced my ddd's to the DVD last week and they are hooked. We will bust this DVD out every October for them to enjoy.

Do any of you have any interesting Halloween traditions that do not include flaming bags of fecal matter? I am always interested in adding new cool things to our family itinerary.

Second, with regards to costumes, any cool ideas this year?

We always go to the Ward deal and then out for trick or treating, so I get to dress up twice. Last year I went as "Oates" from Hall and Oates, although a few people thought I was Super Mario.

This year, our kids are doing the Disney thing (Belle, Snow White, and Dash) for Halloween night. We are also taking them to the Diz trick or treat deal next week.....it is ab-fab and the kids love it.

I insisted we do something offbeat for the Ward party (much to my wife's chagrin). So I made little red energy domes for everyone and we are dressing up in all black and going as Devo, a la the old Freedom of Choice album cover.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I have always found Halloween to be a load of fun, even as a 35 year old adult. Beyond the candy and the food, it is the one day of the year that I feel like I really share a bond with all my Pagan and Wiccan friends/coworkers. Most of the year, I have no interest in hearing their ramblings about Samhain, but come October 31, I really want to listen.

Growing up, my family has always had a few traditions that we are now implementing as parents in our own home.

First, everyone dresses up. You have to do something, even if it isnt ornate. A wig, a mask, a scary catheter....something that shows a little effort.

Second, we always make the homemade donuts. Although my wife and I have tweaked that tradition a bit and, in the spirit of SoCal, we make homemade churros. These are delicious and meritorious of their own holiday.

Third, as kids, we always looked forward to October because it was the only time of the year we could catch "Mad Monster Party" on TV. For those not in the pop-culture "know," MMP is an old Rankin-Bass claymation full-length (think Rudolph, Heatmeiser, et al) that centers around an Island Party thrown by Baron Von Frankenstein. he invites all the monsters to attend, as well as his non Monster nephew, Felix Flankin. Hilarity ensues. Anyhow, to keep this trend alive, I intoduced my ddd's to the DVD last week and they are hooked. We will bust this DVD out every October for them to enjoy.

Do any of you have any interesting Halloween traditions that do not include flaming bags of fecal matter? I am always interested in adding new cool things to our family itinerary.

Second, with regards to costumes, any cool ideas this year?

We always go to the Ward deal and then out for trick or treating, so I get to dress up twice. Last year I went as "Oates" from Hall and Oates, although a few people thought I was Super Mario.

This year, our kids are doing the Disney thing (Belle, Snow White, and Dash) for Halloween night. We are also taking them to the Diz trick or treat deal next week.....it is ab-fab and the kids love it.

I insisted we do something offbeat for the Ward party (much to my wife's chagrin). So I made little red energy domes for everyone and we are dressing up in all black and going as Devo, a la the old Freedom of Choice album cover.

My daughter is going disney as well, she is tinkerbell, we bought her costume in disneyland what a mistake that was, over 100 bucks later. The only unique tradition my family has is that my mom makes homemade apple cider.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

My fam does Chili every year for Halloween.

It makes for a gassy night...but that's ok...we blame it on the ghosts.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Every Halloween we pretend we're Jehovah's Witness, turn off the lights and go to a movie.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
My fam does Chili every year for Halloween.

It makes for a gassy night...but that's ok...we blame it on the ghosts.
We do the chili thing, too. I like Halloween, used to dress up all the time, but I've gotten old and crotchety, so I haven't for the past couple of years.

I'm not really the creative type, but once, I came up with the idea to go as a rain cloud. I bought one of those big bags of batting, glued/taped it to a pair of white pants and a white shirt. The pants I had used for baptizing on my mission (I'd just gotten my own temple clothes, and the pants were shrinking, so they didn't fit me so well ). I made a lightning bolt out of cardboard, painted it, and affixed it to the outfit. Then I carried around a small squirt bottle and rained on people. Even sang the "I'm just a little black rain cloud" song from Winnie-the-Pooh a couple of times for added effect.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:30 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife won't allow me to start a tradition that I think would be great for Halloween:

I think it would be great fun to stand on the roof with the hose and soak all the teenage punks who think they need to ring the bell after 9:00.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote