cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ted Kennedy

The Lion of the Senate is dead. Strange that he requested to be buried at sea (inside a car), but oh well, it must hold some special significance or something.

Mary Jo would be 69 if she were still alive.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Is it fitting that Kennedy's last communication to his state and consituents, was one of pure hypocrisy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/us...ceed.html?_r=1

When Kerry was running for president he pressed for (and got) a law that would prevent Mitt Romney from appointing a replacement. Now he is asking that the law be changed so that the Gov. (now a democrat) can appoint a replacement.

A man of controversy and unbridled arrogance.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

RIP. It is sort of a shame that you choose to focus on long-past mistakes and gloss over decades of hard work. But at least you could throw in that recent hypocrisy bit. Well done.

Hard month for the Kennedy family. I don't even know--are there any of *the* siblings left now that we lost Teddy and Eunice?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
RIP. It is sort of a shame that you choose to focus on long-past mistakes and gloss over decades of hard work. But at least you could throw in that recent hypocrisy bit. Well done.

Hard month for the Kennedy family. I don't even know--are there any of *the* siblings left now that we lost Teddy and Eunice?
What if you don't like his body of work? He has been a very controversial figure and most of us don't have a real live or dead skeleton of having killed a person through neglect then abandonment.

Referring to such a "long past mistake", when such mistake resulted in an unnecessary death, doesn't seem inappropriate. So if a Nazi concentration camp administrator went on to a long body of work in the USSR, should we forget his "long past mistakes"?

Kennedy was a tramp until the end, though I revel not in the death of any man or woman.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Liberals get a free pass from many women when it comes to violence against women. It's a shame.

This isn't fucking Scotland, at least not yet.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What if you don't like his body of work? He has been a very controversial figure and most of us don't have a real live or dead skeleton of having killed a person through neglect then abandonment.

Referring to such a "long past mistake", when such mistake resulted in an unnecessary death, doesn't seem inappropriate. So if a Nazi concentration camp administrator went on to a long body of work in the USSR, should we forget his "long past mistakes"?

Kennedy was a tramp until the end, though I revel not in the death of any man or woman.
You are comparing Kennedy's mistakes to those of a Nazi concentration camp administrator? Get real. Totally inappropriate.

Kennedy had a difficult life in some respects, made some serious mistakes, but influenced a lot of people for the better and made a remarkable positive impact on the nation and the Senate. You do a disservice with your comments.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Liberals get a free pass from many women when it comes to violence against women. It's a shame.

This isn't fucking Scotland, at least not yet.
You think Kennedy was "violent against women?"
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You are comparing Kennedy's mistakes to those of a Nazi concentration camp administrator? Get real. Totally inappropriate.

Kennedy had a difficult life in some respects, made some serious mistakes, but influenced a lot of people for the better and made a remarkable positive impact on the nation and the Senate. You do a disservice with your comments.
I am crying crocodile tears for the rich boy from Boston. Really I am.

Most of Teddies' mistakes were self-inflicted. I made a rough comparison that somebody doinig something horrible which resulted in death is easily forgotten if that perpetrator is a liberal.

I'd like empirical proof for the latter.

Liberals give liberals free passes for their misdeeds but excoriate non-liberals for theirs. What a wonderful moral code.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's just like if I live long enough to see Bill Clinton die: I'm never going to forget his firesale at the end of his presidency.

Marc Rich. Those two words are emblematic of the man who is Bill Clinton.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Dallas Morning News has a piece slamming people who had the gall to mention Chappaquidick and other distasteful things in the comments section of the paper. And how they had to shut down comments as a result.

Of course, there is no criticism for the many laudatory pieces on Kennedy, that summarized his life without nary a mention of Chappaquidick.

The CNN piece yesterday was absolutely correct: if a politician today had done what Kennedy did then, there is no way he would be a Senator. Kennedy traded on his brothers' deaths to get past this "thing" (murder? manslaughter?). As far as I can tell, Kennedy NEVER adequately explained what happened.

Kennedy is reported to have said, before he died, that he would be able to see his brothers, and that he would tell them "I carried the torch." I think their reply would be "leave the torch, there is plenty of heat here already."

This made Farrah chuckle, evil person that she is. As far as I know JFK and RFK never killed anyone, so I'll suggest they are in balmier climes than the firey pit.

I'm not going to apologize one bit for never forgetting. Let the Orrin Hatches and the Mitt Romneys wax poetic about their love for Teddy. Good for them.

But what a sorry world this would be if not a single person can whisper out-loud "What about Mary Jo?"