cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Bronco on scheduling in post bowl game interview

Wrubell: What’s the percentage chance it will be 1AA team?

Bronco: There’s a good chance. And if I had my pick even though it will disappoint some fans that’s what I would do. We have two if you had to say BCS teams and we have interstate rival Utah State and I think balance is possibly a 1AA team and whether I have my critics regarding that or not I think it’s the best interests of our team and our program and I can’t really state it more bluntly than that and I don’t intend to deviate from it.

My analysis: if all teams end up same as last year this is how our SOS could vary with that last game.

if we schedule D1AA: #85
if we schedule #1 team in nation: #60

IMHO, I don't think it's "balance" to have an SOS anything below #50 if we think we're a top 20 team.

jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Wrubell: What’s the percentage chance it will be 1AA team?

Bronco: There’s a good chance. And if I had my pick even though it will disappoint some fans that’s what I would do. We have two if you had to say BCS teams and we have interstate rival Utah State and I think balance is possibly a 1AA team and whether I have my critics regarding that or not I think it’s the best interests of our team and our program and I can’t really state it more bluntly than that and I don’t intend to deviate from it.

My analysis: if all teams end up same as last year this is how our SOS could vary with that last game.

if we schedule D1AA: #85
if we schedule #1 team in nation: #60

IMHO, I don't think it's "balance" to have an SOS anything below #50 if we think we're a top 20 team.

It's not so much the overall schedule Bronco. It is that it is a shitty home schedule. Even years you just need to schedule two decent OOC teams at home. Odd years 1 good team and one shitty one if you want.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

But what is Bronco and Holmoe supposed to do after getting hosed by Nevada? The fact is, our options are pretty slim whether we like it or not. Most BCS and non BCS schools have their schedules already set for next year. I am sure BYU is working with the MWC to find a suitable opponent but right now. I would say that BYU is probably first looking for a D-1 oppoent and if they can't then they will bring in a 1-AA opponent. It is better to underpromise and over deliver than say, "Nevada screwed us, so we will just call Notre Dame and have them come in instead."

Tom most likely will be looking at all opponents that have open dates and then go from there. As I said, these will be few and far between so beggars cannot be choosers. That said, I do hope we make Nevada pay for breach of contract.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
But what is Bronco and Holmoe supposed to do after getting hosed by Nevada? The fact is, our options are pretty slim whether we like it or not. Most BCS and non BCS schools have their schedules already set for next year. I am sure BYU is working with the MWC to find a suitable opponent but right now. I would say that BYU is probably first looking for a D-1 oppoent and if they can't then they will bring in a 1-AA opponent. It is better to underpromise and over deliver than say, "Nevada screwed us, so we will just call Notre Dame and have them come in instead."

Tom most likely will be looking at all opponents that have open dates and then go from there. As I said, these will be few and far between so beggars cannot be choosers. That said, I do hope we make Nevada pay for breach of contract.
Unless I just don't hear or read very well, that isn't what Bronco is saying. He is flat out saying he wants to schedule a 1AA team. So it doesn't matter whether it would be hard or easy to schedule a 1A, he doesn't want to.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

My opinion it is marketing 101. Under-promise and over-deliver. Even if Bronco wanted Ohio State or Notre Dame next year, the only thing we have left is scraps and that is what they are messaging out to the public. In my opinion it is better to get that message out now after a high point than have us expect something better and be disappointed.

If we get anything other than a D-AA team everybody will be singing Bronco and Tom praises and nibbling their nut sack like never before. If it happens to be Southern Utah or Weber State, than that is now expected so people won't be too disappointed.

Think how disappointed we would be if Tom came out and said, we are going to get the best BCS team available and then end up with Weber State. People would be pissed. I just think they are managing expectations based on Nevada giving us a screw job.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train View Post

apparently Bronco is supposed to come out and say that facing a div 1aa opponent is the best thing for BYU, and that he will seek to lower the quality of the opponent.

because that is what he said.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote