cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
tkh9

tkh9
Default Eyeware and Hydration

A couple questions for you guys. I'd like to get a new pair of sunglasses for riding. I was thinking something with those transition lenses that change automatically according to the light you're in.

So, with that in mind, do any of you use them? Would you recommend them? What kind do you use? And is anyone aware of any good deals?

On hydration, I've got the MS150 next Saturday. (Well for me, it's the MS75 or MS100 -- I'll be making that decision at Franklin Park, the turnoff.) So the question is, on a long ride, assuming I'm 250 lbs. how quickly should I be going through water bottles if I want to stay properly hydrated. (I've ridden in the past, but not really paced the drinking and was usually pretty dehydrated by the end. I'd like to know how to pace that, if possible.)

Thanks in advance.
tkh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkh9 View Post
A couple questions for you guys. I'd like to get a new pair of sunglasses for riding. I was thinking something with those transition lenses that change automatically according to the light you're in.

So, with that in mind, do any of you use them? Would you recommend them? What kind do you use? And is anyone aware of any good deals?

On hydration, I've got the MS150 next Saturday. (Well for me, it's the MS75 or MS100 -- I'll be making that decision at Franklin Park, the turnoff.) So the question is, on a long ride, assuming I'm 250 lbs. how quickly should I be going through water bottles if I want to stay properly hydrated. (I've ridden in the past, but not really paced the drinking and was usually pretty dehydrated by the end. I'd like to know how to pace that, if possible.)

Thanks in advance.

Eyewear: I wear glasses with 3 different colorsoflenses. They snap in and out so I can be selective depending on conditions. They have dark, amber and clear lenses.

Hydration:everybody is different. Especially because to are bigger. If it is hot, I would planon 1 to 2 bottles an hour. I like to alternate between a bottle of water and a bottle of gatorade. You will need to replace electrolites about every hour.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:12 AM   #3
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

I don't have transition lenses, but some of the sunglasses I have do have interchangeable lenses. I don't ride when it's dark or nearly dark, so I only use the dark lenses. Not much help for you there.

On hydration, on the road I try to take several big swigs every 5 miles. Both water and gatorade. I drink more as I go along, tend to feel pretty waterlogged by the end of a long ride, and still get somewhat dehydrated.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:36 AM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Good advice from the boys on hydration - 1-2 bottles per hour. In the heat its usually not a problem, in the cool I feel pretty waterlogged trying to stay hydrated. Don't forget the electrolytes. The last year or two the big buzz in cycling safety has been on hyponatremia (low blood sodium levels) and the potential lethal consequences. If a good sports drink is unavailable, a handful of wheat thins should do the trick every hour or so.

I have different colored lenses that I change out with different lighting, so its pretty inconvenient but it works. My buddy recently got some prescription transition lenses that he loves. I'm pretty sure he got them online. If you are really interested, I can ask him where he found them.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a lot to learn. I bought the mule CamelBak from REI the other day to take on mountain biking because the rear schock doesn't allow easy access to a water bottle... i just drink when i'm thirsty. i had a snicker's bar in my pack and it took everything i had to eat half of the king size... i wasn't amazingly thirsty either... now in know what archaea meant by forcing myself to eat during a ride in preparation for ULCER. so i should have a gatorade bottle and a water bottle?

speaking of ULCER, i guess it's a bigger deal this year than in years past starting at Thanksgiving Point and stuff. Are there enough aid stations for me to just bring my 2 water bottles? i don't to have to bring my camelbak because i'm going to wear my Y jersey and i want it to show...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I have a lot to learn. I bought the mule CamelBak from REI the other day to take on mountain biking because the rear schock doesn't allow easy access to a water bottle... i just drink when i'm thirsty. i had a snicker's bar in my pack and it took everything i had to eat half of the king size... i wasn't amazingly thirsty either... now in know what archaea meant by forcing myself to eat during a ride in preparation for ULCER. so i should have a gatorade bottle and a water bottle?

speaking of ULCER, i guess it's a bigger deal this year than in years past starting at Thanksgiving Point and stuff. Are there enough aid stations for me to just bring my 2 water bottles? i don't to have to bring my camelbak because i'm going to wear my Y jersey and i want it to show...
There are plenty of aids stations but if you become accustomed to what you use bring as much as you can carry. Stopping at the initial stops wastes too much time.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:28 AM   #7
tkh9

tkh9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano View Post
Eyewear: I wear glasses with 3 different colorsoflenses. They snap in and out so I can be selective depending on conditions. They have dark, amber and clear lenses.

Hydration:everybody is different. Especially because to are bigger. If it is hot, I would planon 1 to 2 bottles an hour. I like to alternate between a bottle of water and a bottle of gatorade. You will need to replace electrolites about every hour.
Thanks guys for all the tips. I really appreciate it. I'm not nearly the biker I wish I was, but I'm pretty close to trying the 100 instead of the 75. Also, we're actually planning on leaving early so as to beat some of the heat. (That's also our plan for ULCER.)

If I get the transition lenses, I'll let you guys know. I'll also be sure to report in with my riding time and overall time. I'll admit I'm a little nervous about the 100, because my longest training ride has only been 30 miles. I'm not worried about my legs at all, but I am a little worried about my taint.

By the way, one of the guys riding with us was asking about chamois butter. Have any of you used it? Is it a must? What if he just used something like Desitin?

Thanks again for being patient with all my questions.
tkh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkh9 View Post
Thanks guys for all the tips. I really appreciate it. I'm not nearly the biker I wish I was, but I'm pretty close to trying the 100 instead of the 75. Also, we're actually planning on leaving early so as to beat some of the heat. (That's also our plan for ULCER.)

If I get the transition lenses, I'll let you guys know. I'll also be sure to report in with my riding time and overall time. I'll admit I'm a little nervous about the 100, because my longest training ride has only been 30 miles. I'm not worried about my legs at all, but I am a little worried about my taint.

By the way, one of the guys riding with us was asking about chamois butter. Have any of you used it? Is it a must? What if he just used something like Desitin?

Thanks again for being patient with all my questions.
Butt butter does a good job preventing chafing but it's no good in getting it through the airport so don't carry it with you.