View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #22
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The church has not just "abandoned" intellectualism ... it has divested itself in many different ways from all sorts of temporal endeavors. Smith would probably be surprised to visit a 21st century LDS stake and find no polygamy, no communal living, and no consecration (in the terms he defined it). The conversion from "gather to Zion" to "stay where you are" would likewise probably perplex Brigham Young.

The church has and is adapting to an organization that must provide the saving ordinances and doctrines to multiple millions of people, and multiples of millions yet to come. And it is apparent that the church Jesus eventually visits will look very different from the one Joseph might have first envisioned.

Long story short, the intellectualism of times past doesn't fit with the mission of the modern church. "Leave the intellectualism to the intellectuals and focus instead on things of eternity", seems to be today's guideline. I can't say I disagree with it.
I would be fine with this, if I felt it to be the LDS church's true position. If, indeed, the LDS church has divested itself from temporal endeavors, why in the world does it continue to run multiple multi-million dollar businesses and own and administer several colleges and universities? If it's left behind the doctrines of gathering Israel and redeeming and building Zion, shouldn't there be some type of announcement?

Sure, the church of Joseph Smith and today's LDS church are very different (they don't even have the same name). But why wouldn't intellectualism "fit with the mission of the modern church"? Have the intellectual teachings/musings of early LDS leaders been discredited? I doubt it, judging by the way LDS venerate their early members.

What I'm so clumsily trying to say is that it's a mixed message. Intellectualism seems to be both okay and not okay - depending on the conclusions. This is antithetical to the rationalistic approach.