View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salt Lake Half Marathon

Ran it on Saturday. It turned out ok. My plan after my disastrous half two weeks ago was just to come in under 2 hours this time.

I should have lined up farther back at the start, because I got caught up in the wave, and found myself running a 7:45/mile pace for the first three miles. I have no business running that fast for anything over a 5k, and I definitely paid for it later. I was good until about 9 miles, my overall pace was about 8:19/mile, and then I hit the wall.

I've never had to walk during a half marathon, but I had to take brief walk breaks starting at about mile 9. So my pace kept getting slower and slower. With about 3/4 mile left in the race, I was pretty much spent. I was walking a lot, and all of a sudden someone slapped me really hard on the back, which woke me up from my funk. I looked over and it was a girl from my office. So I started running with her, and we did the 3/4 mile at a 7:50 pace. She really helped me out a ton. She's a good runner, she finished in the top 6% of all women in the half.

Anyway, I finished in 1:53. Six minutes slower than last year, which kind of bugs me, but I was much better about running through the winter in '06 than I was last year. This was also a good lesson about not starting out too fast. I tried to hang on the last 4 miles, but just couldn't do it. Gotta get in better shape.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote