View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #35
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Earlier this year, my 16 year-old's Eagle Project consisted of clearing out large amounts of undergrowth in an "environmentally senstive area" and installing a long staircase from a pathway down to a small lagoon. He got together a work crew of about 15 kids and adults, but progress was slower than expected. Given that a couple of other professionals and I bill out at a combined rate of around $1,000 an hour, I gave serious thought to driving to Home Depot and bringing back a truckload of Ensenada's finest to complete the task. And where would be the harm?

Mrs. PAC (who, by the way, never saw the business end of a pick, shovel or rake) put her foot down and muttered something about teaching responsiblity. I wanted to teach something about efficiency and the value of a college education. As usual, she won, but I still think the illegals idea has a lot of merit.

Seriously, if an Eagle candidate said that he had his own work crew, but by raising funds from multiple donors (lazy professionals who would rather die than perform manual labor) was able to hire additional workers and keep several families fed, would that be condemned or honored by a board of review?

My son's egale project consisted of putting in landscaping of a bunch of river rocks and a sidewalk to a shed out side a children's center at a school. It turned out hte two saturday he picked to complete the project a few yearsago were the hottest two days of the year.

ON the second saturday, when the 12 yards of rock had been delivered and I am watching the boys toil moving this stuffa shovel full at a time in 112 degree heat, I went to the local tool rental place, rented a bobcat came back and had it all spread out in abotu 30 minutes, plus had a blast driving the bobcat.

I do not feel guilty. To tell you the truth, however, I think my son neglected to mention this change from the plan in his final review.