View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #34
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
In California, we hire illegal alien teenagers to do the work for the American scouters. You can find them in the parking lots of the Boy Scout Council offices. They will run up to your car and offer to do service projects, merit badges, skill awards, hikes, etc...all very cheap.

Earlier this year, my 16 year-old's Eagle Project consisted of clearing out large amounts of undergrowth in an "environmentally senstive area" and installing a long staircase from a pathway down to a small lagoon. He got together a work crew of about 15 kids and adults, but progress was slower than expected. Given that a couple of other professionals and I bill out at a combined rate of around $1,000 an hour, I gave serious thought to driving to Home Depot and bringing back a truckload of Ensenada's finest to complete the task. And where would be the harm?

Mrs. PAC (who, by the way, never saw the business end of a pick, shovel or rake) put her foot down and muttered something about teaching responsiblity. I wanted to teach something about efficiency and the value of a college education. As usual, she won, but I still think the illegals idea has a lot of merit.

Seriously, if an Eagle candidate said that he had his own work crew, but by raising funds from multiple donors (lazy professionals who would rather die than perform manual labor) was able to hire additional workers and keep several families fed, would that be condemned or honored by a board of review?
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote