View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 AM   #20
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Runnercoug, at what price range do the Nikes become good shoes? Until a week ago, I've always run in Nikes but I've always been in the 50-70 dollar range. With this pair of Brooks I got they were $135 shoes but goose got me a nice discount. I'm guessing at that price range Nike makes a comparable shoe?
I've run in $90 Air Structure Triax for two years now.

But don't misunderstand my point. It's beyond stupid to argue about running shoes, for crying out loud. My point is just this: when someone who is new to running asks for advice from an experienced runner, and all they can say is "don't buy Nike", they've done a big disservice to the person asking for help.

I've run is Asics, and they blistered the holy hell out of my feet. I've got a scar on my right foot the size of a quarter that I got while wearing Asics.

I've run in Saucony's, and to me, they felt like I was running with bricks strapped to my feet.

I've run in Mizuno's, and they were great, except I lost four toenails in one race.

I've run in Brooks, and liked them alot. I just thought they were ugly.

I switched to Nike, after listening to all the "experienced" runners tell me how bad Nikes are for three years. No more blisters, no more black toenails, and they felt lighter to me. If I hadn't listened to people who were giving me nothing but their personal bias, I could have avoided problems in the first place.

I'm not trying to defend Nike. I would say this about any shoe. If you are asked by someone new to running what the best shoe is, the only response you should give is to send them to a running store and get them fitted for the best shoe for their foot. For some it's Asics, some it's Nike, etc, etc. But don't put into a newbie's mind that Nike shoes (or any respectable shoes) are bad, just because you don't like them. Advise them to go to a running store, explore ALL the brands, and find the best one for them. To do anything else is just hurting someone who came to you for advice.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote