View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 04:17 AM   #27
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Look we all put the best spin on things we can. That means accentuating the positive and downplaying the negative in our cases. But look, very few people becomes millionaires practicing law except for the guys who do mass tort litigation and the partners at the biggest firms. For the other 99% of us, only a very few think it is worth while to sell their integrity for the sake of any particular client. Why do it? For the money? Just to win? If you get caught doing something unethical you lose our license. I can't think of any client or fee I would risk that for.
Unethical is relative. Dishonest is relative too. Illegal's pretty cut and dry. I don't imagine the avg lawyer will do something illegal to win a case, but certainly will lie, distort, cover the truth, manipulate, use tactics, etc. I'm a little jaded by the legal system recognizing there is no effort to seek the truth only to make the best case possible, generally completely ignoring the truth. The most skillful side wins, which usually seems to correlate more to who has the resources or connections not the truth. Speaking of corrupt prosecutors, check out the corruption between cops, prosecutors, and judges in a small town. It's sickening. But even that doesn't compare to the corruption of a big time defender with oodles of cash at his disposal.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote