View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:46 AM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Exaggeration is a great way to make a point.

I can believe that an overly ambitious prosecutor will ignore certain liberties of an accused person in order to further his/her career and I feel that is wrong. But as a law abiding citizen, it's more difficult for me to feel badly for someone who willingly breaks the law.

Defense attorneys are needed and serve a good purpose. My opinion is not a knock on them, as they are only doing their job. I just have very little sympathy for people who commit crime.
Here's a point Paddy.

Law works because people consent to be governed. I believe it can empircally demonstrated that people consent if they believe that the law will generally be enforced fairly or that punishment is so certain they fear it.

If prosecutors are allowed to run amuk, then the citizens will have no faith in the system. In order to protect the integrity of the system for all, it is necessary that everybody, especially the guilty be guaranteed basic rights. There are very few prosecutors who wouldn't deny a defendant his constitutional rights if left unchecked. However, if we start to believe the system is rigged,we stop following the laws. Why follow? I'll just be ramned to hell no matter what. You will see the lawlessness of Iraq or even Russia where people no longer believe in the system.

Guilty people must go free if the system doesn't do its job.