View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Some historians believe the Franks saved Europe from becoming an Islamic state. Charlemagne was certainly one of the most important people who ever lived. He was illiterate but threw his might and wealth behind propagating the copying and preserving of ancient texts later brought forth in the latter days, helping to restore enlighightenment. His grandfather Charles Martel's victory that turned the Muslims back at Tours has been called one of the 20 most important military victories in the history of the world.
Charles Martel was a bad-ass. I love his name: Charles the "Hammer." Stirrups helped his cavalry a good deal, I suppose. I think it's fair to say that the battle of Poitiers/Tours fought in 732 was one of the most important turning points in Western civilization. Although I wonder if an Islamic western Europe would have ushered in a time of erudition, learning, and culture like it did in Spain. It's a silly question, but 8th century (Spanish) Islam may have brought a little toleration to Catholic Europe.

BTW, great poll - I love the choices.