View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 03:59 AM   #62
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

As an internet personality, what duty does one have to disclose all or any of one's personal code of conduct?

As wannabe philosophers, why can't somebody float an idea, even if one does not subscribe to the theory?

I really don't believe Jay you do understand. Lawyers do care about truth, but we also care about the process. In our presonal lives, many of us care for the truth. The process which we use to arrive at it is different than how others may, but we care about the truth. Many believe the adversary process is good at exposing weaknesses.

An example, in appellate law, one frequently faces multiple judges on the panel. One will observe this technique. A judge who wants to prove a point to one of his mates, will ask questions seemingly harmful to your client's point of view, but he may be asking them to convince the other judges of his view in your favor.

Lawyers can be scientists of the world of ideas and commerce, trying any theory that helps one's clients. It doesn't mean we personally subscribe to all of them, but the hearer may.

And we have a duty to advocate as best we can.

Seattle needles you and other LDS because he can. He doesn't needle those whom he cannot affect. I don't agree with his views on the Church, but I value them because they teach me something about my views.

I find your views interesting and they force me to reexamine my views. This is probably unconvincing to you, but I wager most or many of us take what is posted here far too seriously and we should not personalize it toward any individual Sure, some of us are jerks. Some of us may hate the Church. In the grand scheme of things, anybody's jerkiness or hate for the Church doesn't really affect you or me, unless he's standing in front of us at the movie theatre telling us to the movie we're about to watch.