View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #68
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a problem, per se, with x% of LDS women choosing to be SAHMs or homemakers.

What I am saying is that the 100-x% who are not, ought to feel safe and welcome in the church. I am afraid we have lost many of them, and will lose most of them, because the culture is unfriendly to them. And that, moreover, the culture asks them to make false choices.

The church is failing in retention. If the church wants to toss me out the window because they don't want people like me introducing ideas and discussing issues, that's going to be up to them, I guess.

Because some here get their panties in a wad doesn't mean that the problem will go away. (is that analogy/insult sexist?)

People like me don't come to power. Elder Browns are once-in-generation or perhaps once-in-a-century (I can't hold a candle to Elder Brown, btw)--people that rise through the ranks but are willing to take hard looks at the traditions of our fathers. Yes, literally "fathers" because it is an overwhelmingly patriarchal system. But people like me can say something hoping that someone who comes to power will take a nugget of these ideas and run with them, in the different ways that can happen.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote