View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
I blame this largely on people at BYU and lower levels of the church not thinking about what they are doing.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650201262,00.html

The fact that two different business school deans would send a message from their school account in their capacity as dean soliciting support for Romney's campaign is symptomatic of just how closely many Mormons view their connections to the church and to the Republican party. Many act as if the party is the political arm of the church. I GUARANTEE you they would not have ever approved of a similar message for a democratic candidate.

If you represent the church or BYU, you MUST NOT BE INVOLVED in politics in your official capacity (and should be quite limited in your personal capacity).
However these individuals also must be permitted to be politically active. I understand there is a fine line to be drawn and in this instance they were not careful enough –however it is unreasonable for any one person to expect Mit Romney not to attempt to access any and all levels of support at his disposal. If that is the case then no politician may approach a school or his own alma mateur for political support –such an idea is absurd. I do believe the media is being disingenuous in this instance.

The very notion that I, as an average Mormon male cannot think for myself in regards to matters of politics or society is actually exceptionally demeaning and woefully pious on the part of The Boston Globe or any other paper.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote