View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #122
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
That is a statement of breath taking stupidity, even for you Robin. The church doesn't direct its members to invest in fighting poverty and hunger? INSTEAD, it directs us to self identify as anti-gay?

I can at least respect that Mike thinks that government corruption and other things are bigger issues (even though I would say that deterioration of family is at the root of all the problems he listed) that deserve more attention. You're comment is just polemics directed at the church which is why it is hard to have a conversation with you about these things.
It is nice to see that the honeymoon (even if it only existed in my mind) is over. Sorry for being SO STUPID Dan, even for ME. Me try to be smarter some day be smart. *grunt* *fart* *sniff*

I speak as one who sees the church as a great tool for good, with potential to do even more good.

If you ask your average Mormon, or any other member of the Christian right, "What are the big issues of the day?" You will find that Gay Marriage ranks far higher on the list than it really deserves. Statements like this recent one solidify the undeserved position of this small issue in the minds of many. It is like Archaea often points out -- statistically, gay marriage should be a non-issue. We are talking about a fraction of a fraction of people who are even interested. And yet, in spite of a world AIDS epidemic, genocide, political corruption in our own house and abroad, starvation, disease, etc. The church comes out with this statement. The MX missile comparison seems apt to me.

Anyhow, since I really had nothing new to contribute to this conversation, but simply wanted to thank Mike for voicing an opinion which so closely resembles my own, I will now step out. My contribution is too easily mistaken as 'polemics against the church,' even when that isn't what I intend. The issue is too important to distract you with that, so I will remove on easy target from the debate.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited by Robin; 05-29-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote