View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 12:17 AM   #30
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Define "pardonable."

Will they eventually be forgiven of their sin? Yes-- but one thousand years after beginning of the millenium. Murder will not forfeit salvation, but usually will result in the forfeiture of exaltation.
Good question... I don't know the answer. I assume Exaltation is still available to murderers because according to Matt 12:31 "the Atonement is effective for all who repent except for those who commit the unpardonable sin against the Holy Ghost." -Arthur R. Bassett, “Thou Shalt Not Kill,” Ensign, Aug. 1994, 27

If "the Atonement is effective," does that not mean that exaltation is possible? I assume it's not just talking about resurrection here because ALL will be resurrected (even sons of perdition). So... if the Atonement is effective, is it not eternal and can't it cover any sin if the sinner fully repents? (I don't dispute the fact that "repenting fully" of murder is VERY hard to do).

I was taught (between naps in seminary) that "the unpardonable sin against the holy ghost" was to have received a personal revelation from God himself and deny it.

According to Joseph Smith in the King Follett Sermon...

"I said, no man can commit the unpardonable sin after the dissolution of the body, nor in this life, until he receives the Holy Ghost;" My seminary teacher took that whole "receives" a bit further than just post-baptismal confirmation.

More King Follett...
"All sins shall be forgiven, except the sin against the Holy Ghost; for Jesus will save all except the sons of perdition. What must a man do to commit the unpardonable sin? He must receive the Holy Ghost, have the heavens opened unto him, and know God, and then sin against him. After a man has sinned against the Holy Ghost, there is no repentance for him. He has got to say that the sun does not shine while he sees it; he has got to deny Jesus Christ when the heavens have been opened unto him, and to deny the plan of salvation with his eyes open to the truth of it; and from that time he begins to be an enemy."

In short...
Unless you have received a personal visit from a member of the Godhead (wich usually happens only when your calling and election is made sure aka receive the more sure word of promise) you cannot "deny" that which you "know."

In other words, you have to KNOW it and then LIE and say it is untrue.

To take it a step further, it is my understanding that those who receive the more sure word of promise can still screw up (little things) and come back. The only way they can really knock themselves out is to have seen God and then go out and murder somebody.

The only case of this I know of is Cain.

I can dig into this more when I get home and have my "sticks" but if somebody can throw me a bone here I'd appreciate the help. My seminary teacher whipped out a bunch of stuff about anchors, etc...

It was a very long time ago and I was probably more concerned with how I could sneak out the back than with the lesson...
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote