View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #39
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I confess my alcohol knowledge is not good enough for me to go tit-for-tat with you on liquor vs. beer vs. other forms, or iced tea vs. hot tea, etc. It's enough for me that a modern prophet has interpreted it this way, whether or not it came from an unclear 1851 sustaining vote or not. I doubt very seriously were you to ask one of them, that they would agree with your view that it contradicts the text. If the Lord commanded it, they could add Big Macs to the list and it will still comport with the spirit of the revelation.
Liquor = hard or strong alcholic drinks. Beer is not usually considered same (although some belgian beers can make you stand up and notice, or so I am told).

Iced tea was, traditionally, simply brewed tea cooled and poured over ice. IOW, it is no different. There is sun-brewed tea, however, which might be considered to be different, and, in the more modern era, instant tea messes this all up.

The ahndbook gives guidance on this but, as someone pointed out, the temple recommend question is only whether you keep the WoW. Self-governance, with prayerful consideration and taking into account the words of prophets, seems to the the idea here.