View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Being on the wrong side of history

How many times is the Church going to be on the wrong side of history?

The Church has been wrong on the key civil rights issues of the 20th century: dead wrong on equal rights for women and dead wrong on civil rights for blacks. And now the Church is on the wrong side of the gay marriage issue. If it doesn't seem disgraceful now, it will seem that way 30 years from now.

If marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God, and marriage between two men or two women is not ordained of God, then why can't the Church simply maintain that position without fighting legal recognition of gay marriage.

I fail to see how allowing gays to be legally married could affect LDS theology. Roe v. wade didn't force the Church to accept abortion (not that abortion is the moral equivalent of gay marriage). Besides, gay couples ALREADY refer to themselves as "married," so what's the big deal?? Is the main fear that gays will be accepted by society?

I think the Church is afraid that it will be a slippery slope to allowing gay marriage in the temple, but that fear seems irrational to me.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote