View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Yes, the church brings me a tremendous amount of happiness and satisfaction. I disagree strongly with the church on this issue, but I would disagree strongly with any organization to which I am or would be a part on some topic or other. I am an American, and I disagree passionately with much of what I see happening in America (as do you). If you are looking for perfection in an organization, we both know it will be a fruitless search. Thus, your view of the church as a "single monolithic piece" likely isn't consistent with your views of any other organization and isn't reasonable in any event.

By the way, you carefully dodged the main crux of my post, which was a question to you about why you take joy in watching others feel disappointed in an organization of which they are a part.

The church has been wrong on some weighty issues in the past. To their credit, over time they appear to get most of them right (which you certainly can't say for all organizations). A large reason they get them right is the voice of the members inside the organization who push for change.
My motives are pure. I think it causes a net loss in happiness overall because it is an enemy of liberty and the examined life.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote