View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #42
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Basically there are some active managers who kick passive managing butt and have done so over long periods of time. Note, I said "some". Not all, not even most. Most managers actually underperform the average, which is true in about anything. I am sure you have heard about the 80-20 rule.
Yes you can find managers that have outperformed for long periods of time. I have never argued against that general idea. In fact Jay really wasn't making that argument either but I agree his original post suggested that he was in fact making that argument. 20% is too large but that hardly is an important part of your point.

Quote:
I will give you the high ground on theoretical arguments. I don't deal in that world and have no interest in it. That is the world of economists, who quite frankly also fall into the 80-20 rule also.
I assume economists are in the 80% but I am not sure I know how that rule applies to economists. Or maybe you mean only 20% of economists make any sense. That might actually be true.

Quote:
If I find a manager who has consistently outperformed over the past 10 years, as for me, I will take my chances with that person over some theory. Like I have said over and over in this thread, it doesn't bother me if someone chooses to do otherwise.
I don't think that's a bad strategy. Empirically on average a strategy for choosing funds with that heurisitic does fine (although not really better than other simple heuristics). Also such a heuristic can be perfectly consistent with portfolio theory. So in that sense your heuristic is probably a good one. It gives you a fund that probably in the end gives you a portfolio that is close to optimal in a portfolio theory sense but you are able to get to a near optimal portfolio without much hassle.

The implications of portfolio theory are hard to escape: once you tell me your care about the return and standard deviation of your portfolio, its really just math. Economics is flawed often enough, but math isn't.

Last edited by pelagius; 08-05-2008 at 03:21 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote