View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I'm not following you, tb. Can you elaborate a little?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ
An argument can be made that JS Jr. wasn't killed for his testimony of Christ, but instead for his blending of religious, political, and military activities, and particularly for destroying the Expositor. It can also be argued that JS Jr. had not been arrested for being Mormon, or for testifying of Christ, and that no one involved with his Carthage incarceration was demanding he deny his faith, or suggesting that he would be released or live if he did so.
I understand and appreciate the argument(s). What was at the root of his political and military activities if it was not a testimony of Christ? What lies at the heart of the intolerance and hate towards him, and all Mormons?

I have been fascinated as I have read the campaign travails of Mitt Romney and can't help but wonder aloud; "What has changed since the murder of JS at Carthage?" Are average Americans more tolerant of Mormonism, faith and culture; or, is the average American more indifferent of Mormonism faith and culture?

Much of what I read leads me to believe that 'nothing' has changed, or rather the average American is more indifferent and no more tolerant and accepting. Evangelicals cling to their notion and definitions of Christianity. Mormonism is an affront to those notions and definitions.

Joseph Smith was murdered because he testified of Christ with language and actions inconsistent with the accepted norm. His political and community actions allowed for secondary justification for his elimination.

Mitt Romney has no chance to be elected president, not because he is a poor politician, a flip flopper etc. but principally because he is a Mormon!

Of course I am not counting Romney out. And more importantly I am not equating his actions in any way with those of Joseph Smith, whom I consider a martyred prophet.

Last edited by tooblue; 11-07-2007 at 10:22 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote